Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday, May 30th

35 comments:

postmaster said...

Aeden said it last summer at NWTC: "It should be okay" Tom and family-somehow I know it should be okay. It may be sad, it may be joyous, it may be full of song, tears, grief, love, memories-but it should be okay. Tom thank you for touching my heart with your music, laughter, and joyous spirit. Patt J.



P1010225

Miriam said...

Thank you, Tom, for the many wonderful song sharing times we've had with you here at Evergreen Elementary in Sedro-Woolley. You always bring sunshine and joy to children and adults alike. We feel the joy of your music and always carry energy that with us. What a gift! I pray that you feel that same joy and peace surround you and your family at this time. -- Mim A.

iro said...

dear tom and family,
i discovered you this morning in an email from bev (as i am on her mailing list) and i wanted to send my heartfelt wishes of peace and blessings. although we've never met, you will remain in my thoughts. your story has inspired, touched, and moved me and i will continue to hold you in the light.
with love,
ilyse

Anonymous said...

"Music is the medicine of the breaking heart."— Leigh Hunt

God Bless you and your family. Your music plays at our center almost daily and no doubt continues to touch us. Thank you for living an inspiring life, full of what you love.
DeAnn Marston-Gronvall

Sjohnson said...

Tom, we remember your early days in Palo Alto and your wonderful concerts there. You entertained us, made us think, and raised money for some wonderful organizations. Thank you for your music, which has been so special to us, our children, and now our grandchildren.
Blessings, Sarah and Dick Johnson

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom and family,
I am out here lurking, reading everything, feeling, feeling, with you all, missing FCCB dreadfully and the community that I know will be together and supporting each other and you during this time. We know how to do this. We have had great teachers. And you are one of them. Thank you for all you shared with my family.
Gillian McLeod, Brynna, Shane, Tennel and Anthony Symons

Anonymous said...

Dear Family,
My name is Jim Lawer. I work at Hospice of Humboldt with Sharon Hunter, and from her found out what is happening with Tom. I also checked with her to make sure my memory is at least somewhat accurate. In the 1980s the UCC AIDS Ministry for No CA/Nev was established with me as its first chaplain. If memory serves me well, Tom wrote a song about that ministry, in particular reflecting on one of the young men with whom I was ministering, who had said to the gathered people at First Congregational Berkeley, "I just want my body back." And based on that Tom wrote and sang a song at another gathering. But I know Tom through his other gifts of music, as well, and I cycle back to you and your family the gratitude which has filled our lives and our work with blessings. Jim

Raeanne said...

abby franklin @ loving space school

tom,
you have meant so much to me over the years. you are my hero. 13 years ago when some friends were throwing a baby shower for me for my first child raeanne, the way they got me to the surprise event was they said you'd be at the park singing, they knew i'd show up if they mentioned your name. I have always been incredibly moved by your words and wisdom around kids and what they need. what you do for children and grownups, protecting childhood the way you do , singing songs that bring that feeling of being small back so close to our hearts, giving us all the courage to be the kind of grownups that "invite" children into our lives. thank you for everything you have taught me.
thank you for the way you have listened to me so fully when i spoke to you.thank you for the kind words you have said to me that encouraged me to keep on keeping on.
your songs are forever in my heart and playing endlessly at my school.
one of my favorite parts of the good stuff for kids conference was your idea of sending yourself a postcard to remind yourself of something. mine said "remember what tom said and how he said it" it hangs in my room and there it will stay.please have someone kiss your forehead for me.
all my love,
abby

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
I am a pre-kindergarten teacher in Baltimore, Maryland, where there is very little understanding of children's needs and how to best meet them, and children are mistreated in many ways every day in our public schools. I have my copy of "Come On Over" that I bought at an NAEYC convention many years ago, and when I hear you and Bev and Michael, I am able to hold on a little bit longer in this very challenging environment. Thank you for this beautiful music, and for trusting children and teaching us to do the same thing. I can see by the looks on my students' faces that they hear something special in your music.

Anonymous said...

By my calculations, you should be virtually overwhelmed right now by a plethora of magic pennies. I see them tumbling from your pockets, rolling out of your smiling eyes and deep dimples, climbing up your pant legs and filling your shoes. These blog comments are such a testimony to the words in the Magic Penny Song that I think was, perhaps, the first song I ever heard you sing. You have been the quintessential LOVE GIVER and have taught so many of us to spend and lend those magic pennies by your example. AHO to you and your loving family.

Margie Kimberley

Doris Brown said...

Tom,
You have touched so many lives with your music and your wisdom. You are the best listener I have ever known. Your smile and your sense of humor brighten the room when you walk in. As an early childhood professional, I have learned so much from you.

I am so saddened by this news concerning your health. My friend, Susan Prince, told me that you helped our pastor plan the memorial service for our precious Cody when he lost his battle with cancer last year on June 13th. We played "We've Been Waiting for You" at his service because it was his favorite song. In fact we played that CD for him every day for the last 5 days of his life and I know that he could hear your voice and was comforted. Cody will be waiting for you and will sing that song with you. Our prayers are with you and your family as you fight this battle. I know that with your spirit, you are enjoying spending time with your wonderful family. We all love you.

Remember - kiss a moose - Macguire's in Pensacola, FL

Your friend in Alabama,

Doris Patterson
kitkat1214@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

To Tom and Family-

I only met Tom a few times in my life, most recently at the NAEYC convention in Chicago. I was moved once again during his presentations and brought to tears a number of times as the truth of what children deserve and need was spoken so clearly and eloquently by him. Tom was always so kind, willing and generous in our coversations and I always appreciated that. His songs and words have permeated my professional career and my home life. My daughter and I sing "You are my Sunshine" every night before bed because Tom reminded me how important lullabies and songs that have stood the test of time are to young children. I will be thinking about you all and praying for peace in your household. Thanks for bringing me moments of clarity during my 15 year careeer in early childhood education. We will keep singing!

Sarah Miller
Milwaukee, WI

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Family
I heard the news last night. My thought and prayers are with you all. My heart is sad.
I have heard Tom speak at all the Focus on Children Conferences in Bellingham.
I have used so many of his ideas in the classroom.
Tom I love how you always focus on the children. Encouraging teachers to think from the child's point of view. I have used your song "Sometimes I cry". when a child is crying I just started singing it... It helped. Sometimes the children would sing it.
When my grandmother passed away years ago my uncle told his kids, ages 4-12, that now grandma was a star in the heavens....I know your star will be one of the biggest.
I plan on having a picture of you on my desk to remind me to ALWAYS look at situations from the child's point of view.
You will be missed.
Karen Lindquist

Anonymous said...

I met Tom at a workshop at the Sunnyvale Congregational UCC church in 1982; Jim Cernohlavek was the Pastor. Tom's gentle, understanding heart touched me, changed me. Thank you God for your angel Tom.
Lee C., Rio Vista, California

Anonymous said...

Tom and family,

Please let me begin by saying that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. The strength and courage being shown right now is amazing and admirable.

I have not met Tom personally, but he is a friend of my mother and holds a very special place in my heart. My son Cody was a pediatric cancer patient and passed away June 13, 2007 at the young age of 2. He passed away after 1 1/2 years of treatment for a brain tumor. My son was a dancer and loved music. My mother, Doris, gave him a CD with Tom's music and we played it for him often. He would just smile and dance and was so happy listening to the music! When he came on hospice and was sleeping a lot we played that one CD around the clock for him to listen to. We knew that music made him happy and that was our ultimate goal.

When Cody passed away we asked Tom for permission to use one of the songs at Cody's memorial service. "We've been waiting for you" was one of his favorites and was played at his memorial service. Tom worked with our pastor behind the scenes and helped to plan Cody's memorial service. All this for a child that he had never met, but who was brought so much happiness by Tom's music. This is one of the many reasons that Tom holds a special place in my heart. He brought happiness and smiles to my son and our family in what was a very difficult time.

Thank you Tom from the bottom of my heart. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you enter into the next part of your journey. Cody will be waiting for you when you get there...

Love,
Angela Myers
www.carepages.com - site name: CodyMyers1

Robin Douglas said...

Tom, I've been reading the blogs every day since they started...the first several days with such incredible sadness (my "windows" are shiny clean from tears), but in the last few days I've moved on to remembering wonderful times spent with you, many of which include dinner... you, me and my preschool staff sitting on the floor of my apartment eating lasagna and then singing, singing, singing....our adventurous dinner at the Hancock Tower in Chicago (and we were all so impressed that you got a table right away after they told Aeden it would be an hour - that's the power of YOU! : D), you and Gwen, and our NWTC friends passing dishes around the table to share tastes at Mary Mack's in Atlanta...the amazing dinner Vanessa and her dad hosted for us in Chicago last November and how we sang after...and all the meals we've shared at Seabeck and Camp Brotherhood and all those crazy carrots!!!

I can't thank you enough for the gifts you've given me...your music, which refills my spirit whenever I feel drained, with the added bonus that anytime I pop in a tape I feel a friend is close by, the "true North" you've always been in pointing the way to what's right for kids and by getting me to NWTC ("you NEED to come!" you said)provided a place where you, Richard, Gwen and the whole NWTC staff had indeed been waiting for me to and where I would meet people I now count among my dearest friends. Thank you for all you do and all you are and for helping me have the strength to keep working for kids and families.

What else is true? I hope so much that someday we'll see each other again and in that place we'll sing together again.

Sending all my love to you, Gwen, Aeden and Irene,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom, I remember being just a young girl, going to your place for BBQ's and playing with the kids. One more specifically being on a Memorial Day wich happened to fall on my birthday. You had given me one of your tapes. Oh how I loved to listen and sing along to it over and over again. My favorite being "Goodnight Irene". Both are so lucky to have such a loving, supportive father, teacher and friend. I have had many great opportunities to listen to Aeden and it is amazing how much of you that he posesses in his own music today. You have so much to be proud of as you already know i'm sure. May god bless you and comfort you during this hard time. Sing, Sing, Sing.....

Amy Dwight

Rachel said...

As a defiant teenager, my mom bravely took me to Northwest Teacher's camp. I kicked and screamed and pouted the whole way there. Upon meeting Tom, years ago at Seabeck, he gave my hand a firm handshake and gave me a hug right off the bat. Afterwords, he kept his arm around me and turned to me and said, "Be careful, Rachel, you just might have fun." Tom continued to say that to me year after year as I returned to camp with my brave mom, however the attitude was left at home. I'll never forget meeting Tom, and I was sure that I wouldn't have fun and that a few days at camp would be sheer torture, little did I know I'd be crying for days when I left, and I'd go home singing camp songs with my mom. One of my favorites was Red River Valley, and Tom's classic, "we've been waiting for you". Tom, its been a pleasure to know you and to enjoy your music. You'd be surprised as to the young woman I've become, I think you'd be proud.

All the best,
Rachel Basch,
NWTC "alumni"
Sammamish, WA

Unknown said...

I have not met you Tom, but I do know Aeden from the time he spent working for Kids' World. I have heard such wonderful things about you and raves from teachers past. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We will be thinking of you. Take care and God speed.
Sincerely,
Leslie Lee
Kids' World Learning Centers
Bellingham, WA

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Family,
Many years ago I was a young adult counseling small children at Pilgrim Firs. Tom was our adult leader and even then I was taken with his music and compassionate soul. Now I have young children of my own and his albums are staples in our home and will be for years to come. I am so sorry to hear of Tom's illness. As I am sure you have heard many times from many people, his music has touched our family and helped created a loving environment where we experience joy and know God in a deep way. I am grateful to have his touch in our lives.
Blessings,
JJ Crow

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
My family and I want to say THANK YOU.
I didn’t get to know you as much as I would have like too, but you’re music makes me feel like I’ve known you for a long time. You have touched so many lives, mine included.
The Christmas concert at the Mt. Baker Theater in 2001 is very memorable for me. This was the year Brian and I lost our first child 5 months into our pregnancy. Abigail was born in July and we were devastated. Also there was the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The whole country was grieving. It was such a sad time, but your concert was very healing for me. I cried, laughed and was inspired. There was a very special feeling at this particular Christmas concert. Angels might be anywhere at all, and I know they were there that night, perhaps my Abigail being one of them. The Spirit surrounded us. “There’s a light in the darkness, a calm in the storm.” These are such comforting words and they have been stuck in my head for the last several days, thinking of you. Thank You.
Last Christmas my family attended your concert at church it was very special too.
My Daughter Chloe who is 2 loved it, she was filled with music, dancing, shaking her head crazily and ready to get right up there with you. We had to hold her back. Our son Tanner who is 4 also enjoyed it very much. He was singing along with the Angel’s song and I didn’t even know he knew the words. You brought us so much joy. It is something I will cherish forever.

So again I want to say Thank you, we are so grateful for having you in our lives. I am sad that we're going to loose you, my heart aches for your loved ones and am keeping you all in my prayes. Your music with it's blessings will live on in our family always and many other as well.
Shantel, Brian , Tanner, and Chloe Rapp

Anonymous said...

In 1984 I had a favorite song—“Rock Me to Sleep”. I went to a music camp at Kicking Mule Records and sat around the campfire waiting for a turn. I was really nervous because I wasn’t used to singing around people, but I sang it accompanied by my dulcimer. I noted that a man I had been noticing left the campfire. Later he told me that the song made him cry. I found out the next day that he was working at Lockheed. I asked “How could you do that?” I was sleeping out under the stars. He was in a tent. I wondered how he could do THAT, , and he came out to sleep under the Garberville stars. Being with the group of folkies and the music was transformative. A couple of months later he quit his job, left his wife and married his high school sweetheart.

The next week I met the man I would marry (and spend my life and musical life with) at the Kindred Gathering (of Mountain Dulcimers) Robert and Janette Force introduced us. For the Friday night circle I played “Rock Me to Sleep.” I thank you for that song and many others. Now I play your tapes which I used while I was teaching in the public schools-- to entertain the grandkids. Your influence and music never stops!
Susan Howell

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tom, for the valuable lessons you have taught so many of us who work with children. I remember hearing you in a workshop at NAEYC a few years ago talk about the importance of making every child feel that he or she is valued. When a child walks into my classroom tardy, I hear your words, "we've been waiting for you" from that workshop. I had a kinder this year who got to school with much struggle and when she came in late, I would greet her with a smile and say, "Kristen, we've been waiting for you!" She beamed with quiet joy each time I said it. Thank you for helping me make Kristen feel valued. You have given so much to so many. My prayers and thoughts are with you all.
Thank you, Karen Hobson in Tucson, AZ

Anonymous said...

Your big heart, constant grin, easy laugher, beautiful voice, and a gift for writing songs that touch our souls…Tom, you are an amazing person and I’m so grateful for having known you. I was was fortunate enough spend 8 weeks with you in 1970 exploring the Southwest as part of the Turquoise Trail Expedition. Riding and singing along with you in the Commissary truck are some of my fondest memories. You performed our wedding in October 1980 under the cottonwood trees at the Gulch. Our kids grew up on your music—we especially loved listening to your tapes on road trips where we could all sing along in the car. As I read these other tributes, it is no surprise to me the profound impact you have had on so many people. What a gift you have been to all of us, and lucky are the ones who will meet you in your future journeys.

“And the cottonwoods keep moving through my mind….”

Sue Trevathan and Jim Bazemore
Vashon Island, WA

Nancy Rollins said...

Dear Hunter Family,
Tom's music has been a part of our family's life for thirty years. Melissa (my daughter) was one when my father shared Tom's early records with us. (One of his resident's brothers was this cool, interesting musician.) Since then we've sung your songs at happy times and hard times. On long drives and working in the yard. They have inspired us to sing our own songs. Thank you for your gift of yourself---your ideas, your emotions, your sense of fun and love have made us better than we would have been. We are your friends, even though you don't even know us! Your being has enriched our lives immensely. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom, Gwen, Aeden and Rena,
This is my 3rd try to send you a comment, and I'm hoping it's a charm. If it wanders off into cyberspace the way the other 2 did, I'll just give up and send them by snail mail. I'm pretty computer-awkward, and I presume there's something that isn't obvious to me that I'm required to do. Anyway, I do love you all, and have been mining memory after memory as I've been moving through this week since I heard the news. We're busy planning a benefit concert in your honor in Modesto, so stay tuned and you can sing along from afar with a whole lotta folk who love your music and remember your visits to our church and a whole lotta schools.
If I wake up tomorrow and find this on the blog, I'll be amazeful and rejoiceful.
I'm holding you all in the light, and joining in singing you home, Tom.
Blessings, peace, and love,
Sandy Sample

Piper said...

How can I begin to descibe the ways that Tom has touched my life? He wrote my all time favorite song from Cottonwood Gulch called Cottonwoods. He also wrote many of the songs that are sung every year at camp. I love them all! He sang at my parents wedding at camp (I wasn't born yet but I've seen the photos).My best friend and I got to sing on one his cassettes when I was younger and I still have it. Everytime I think of geoducks I remember his song! I can still sing the song after all these years. He also came to our house when we lived in Seattle to produce a music video. I thought it was so cool that he picked our house to make the video. Thank you Tom for all the memories. Your songs will stay with me forever!
Love, Piper Bazemore

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom...
Today, at my own "morning watch" I was thinking of all I have learned from you in the past...about integrity and connections and authenticity and vitality and the list goes on. Today I realized that I am learning from you still, even now...about grace and gratitude and perspective...an embarrassment of riches indeed-this time is so hard but it is also good...thank you!
So much love, Billie

Anonymous said...

Tom, Gwen and family my thoughts and prayers are with you. You have graced my Bellingham time with your music, your laugh, your wit, and your warmth. May the love and caring you gave so freely to the world in the past, come back to envolope you in comfort in these hard times. Hugs, Bitsy

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom,

The thoughts of you have not left my mind since I first heard the news of your illness. We've only met a handful of times (Good Stuff Conferences, "Teaching Literacy Through Music" Workshop, and the concert you performed in the gym at our preschool) though the memories of these meetings are rich and deep! How I loved watching you sing! There was so much passion...so much joy!
Thoughts of the "Pirate Song" (a pirate, a pirate) still make me laugh! To have touched so many hearts...what a legacy! You are an inspiration and you are loved! For you, I am grateful!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom and Gwen,
Your friends in Houston cried buckets today when we got the news. Our tears were only matched by the countless memories we have of good times together. Eating lots of yummy desserts, telling stories, laughing, singing along, recalling our NAEYC reunions... good times that warm our hearts every time we think of them. "It's no fair!" we said all day - no fair at all.

Sometimes there are people we meet that are just instant friends. Tom, you've been that kind of person for me, Kyra, Sarah, Laura, Dan, Kate, and so many others at St. Luke's Day School and the Early Childhood Methodist Conference. We will always cherish the time you were here for us when our friend Roseanne died. Remember what a "God thing" we all knew it was that you should be in Houston at that time.

If thoughts and prayers can cover you like a comfy blanket, just feel ours wrapping around you! We are holding you and Gwen and the family so close and praying God's richest blessings for you now. We were waiting for you to come to our place this Fall - no worries, you are already with us and will always be in the way that dear friends always are!

Your friends,
Debbie Weymouth and all at St.Luke's Day School

Anonymous said...

When I think of you, I'm sixteen and have just left a foster home in California and have gone to live with my aunt in a house she built in the mountains of central Idaho. We're sitting on a huge bean bag chair and the woodstove is going. My aunt is singing, "there's a monster in the closet, the ghosts are on the wall, so why do you keep on telling me there's nothing there at all?" and then a little later, "but tonight I want you to rock me to sleep." I don't know if I got the words exactly right, but that's how I remember them 27 years later. Those songs for me recall the migration from a world of abuse and neglect to a world of love, homemade things, real food, and yes... folk music. Thank you for all the gifts you don't know you gave, and vaya con dios. Erin Corday

Unknown said...

Tom-
last summer as I sat on the lawn at the library with my daughter and watched you and aeden play like you always do, I felt the community gather and participate through your music and it lifted my spirit so high that I felt a tremendous joy. That's what you do and you do it so well. Thanks for your gift and also for giving it to Aeden. I was fortunate enough to play in a band with Aeden and hope that he continues to spread your gift of music. Blessings.

Rhys Webb

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,

I fondly remember the beer making with you and Craig. Remember adding raspberries that one time? You would always run out of beer before the rest of us because you were so generous. It's amazing to read of all the lives you've touched. I feel lucky to have known you. Hello to Gwen, Irene, and Aeden - thank you for sharing Tom with us.

Bonnie

Carol Garguile said...

Carol Garguile;
Tom; I seem to be having a hard time getting a word to you and your family. I am persistant and will try again. So many of your songs ring in my ears lately and tears seem to follow those songs. You have been a "light in the darkness" for so many and will always be remembered as such. Both of my children, Brent and Cheryl think the world of you and even after they grew up they never wanted to miss your Christmas Eve Service. I have some of your CD's for Brents son and know that he will love learning your wonderful songs. My love to all of your family.