Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday and Saturday, June 13th and 14th

15 comments:

Shawn Godfrey said...

I attended one of Tom's workshops a year and a half ago in PA. He gave me hope and inspiration and the courage to continue to teach from the heart during a time when so many are focused only on the brain. I love to sing, and using Tom's advice have begun to incorporate song into my daily school routine. Shortly after hearing the news about Tom's illness, I focused on Tom's songs from the Seed CD. The children and I sang danced and laughed together sharing. I lifted this time up as a tribute to Tom and the way he has touched so many lives. I am thankful him and his teaching as I am thankful for the wonderful people surrounding him during this trying time. Thanks for sharing your friend, father, husband with me and the students in PA. Our lives have been changed by meeting Tom. God bless you.
Shawn Godfrey

Shawn Godfrey said...

I met Tom about a year and a half ago at a conference in PA. Tom's workshop was the inspiration I needed to rededicate my self to teaching from the heart. I became a different teacher at that moment. I love to sing, and I added singing into my daily routine. My children love it. In fact, on the last day of school we spent half of our time together singing and dancing to our favorite songs. Shortly after hearing about Tom's illness, the children and I sang songs from Tom's Seeds CD. We laughed, sang, danced and got silly. They had a blast and so did I. These children were monolingual spanish speaking children when they came to school in Sept, and now many of them have exited the ESL program. I attribute singing and creating songs to their success. Thank you Tom for all you have done to inspire teachers and to teach children through this inspiration. And thank you to Tom's family and friends for sharing him so graciously with others. I know my life has been changed for the better by Tom Hunter.

God's love and light,
Shawn Godfrey

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Aeden, Irene, and Morgan,
The hospice nurse told Tom that his soul knows what to do. Your souls do, too. And all our souls are backing you up 100%.

joolee said...

Good Morning dear Hunters and all -
Each morning I am greeted by a print hanging on the wall in my kitchen that reads.....
"A FRIEND knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...."
That's what Tom has done for years and why so many call him "friend"...through his words, songs and connections he has reminded us of being as human as we can be and helped us sing our own heart-songs in life. And, that's also what is here in this blog and all the cards and connections that have been coming to Tom, Gwen, Aeden and Irene during this time. We have all been blessed by this. Through words, tears, songs and love it is so clear that the song in our hearts says, "We love you deeply, Tom and family." Thinking of you all and sending love - Julie Mauermann

Unknown said...

Dear Hunter Family,
I'm already choked up just saying your name. Few people have had such an impact on me as you Tom... your music, your words, and your beautiful mind. I am such a better preschool teacher because of your dedication to what is important for all of us to ponder and practice. Thank you.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. What a beautiful family you are.
Love, Debbie from Alabama
Good Stuff for Kids 2006

Anonymous said...

“I thank my God every time I remember you.” Philippians 1:3

Tomhunter, Tomhunter … the man with one name. Thank you for helping me (and countless others) recognize the extraordinary in the seemingly ordinary, everyday moments of life. You are blessed to be a blessing to all you have touched ... and all you will continue to touch, as we sing your songs, endeavor to live by your ideals and … in all things, keep it going. Know that you and your beautiful family are wrapped in love and in prayers.

Janharvey (one name as well)
Orange County, CA

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom, Gwen, Irene and Aeden,

This Blog has been a blessing, to feel so connected to so many I have never met but all connected in our love for you.
Different songs, different memories of happy gatherings wash over me throughout the day. Today it is the song about memories and how those good memories get us through the hard times is the one that keeps coming up in my heart.
I've been calling Chris and Jesse almost daily and they are reading your blog and sending their love. (we Brannan's have a hard time expressing ourselves in words-there's too much we want to say and the words aren't big enough somehow)
I re read Tom's Visits to the Heart of Education today. I could hear his voice--I will remember "Slow it all down and you will find moments for the heart,moments when you are filled up by what's important." Thank you Tom for all your gifts to us.
And thanks you Irene, Aeden and Gwen for the amazing people you are. Love, Linda Brannan

Cindy Bauleke said...

The Lummi Island rocks in the picture are a gift from the church on Lummi Island where Tom served as pastor in the early 1980's. This church has dearly loved Tom, Gwen, Aeden, and Irene through the years and from time to time Tom has returned to the island. Last summer Tom came to lead worship on the beach, when the weather kept us indoors, Tom went to Church Beach and collected stones for everyone to hold during worship. A couple of weeks ago, to help with our grief, we once again held stones from Church Beach during worship, and then with our love and prayers put them in a bowl for Tom and his family, a tangible symbol of our care as this little church prays for Tom, his family, and the many, many loved ones in their lives. We are so grateful for your ministry among us, Tom, for the ways you have shared God's love and taught us to "wonder."
Lummi Island Congregational Church
United Church of Christ

Anonymous said...

Blessed Hunter Family,

I know I said earlier that I was beginning to accept this, but right now I can only cry. Irene, I was thinking of you earlier--how I never met you, but spoke of you and asked about you from your parents. It was always clear how much they love you. (By the way, how IS your arm now?) I am so grateful for your beautiful thoughts and updates. It helps so much to catch those bits of all your lives...when I feel so far away. I am also stunned at your family's generosity, courage and unfailing love. I watched both of my parents die at home. I understand the complexity, the torment of wanting to know the "right" thing to do...and the depth of the gratitude I feel for the opportunity to provide care, unconditional love and witness the journey from this life. I can't thank you enough for sharing your hearts.

I went downtown to the opening day of our farmer's market today. I thought of late last August when your mom and dad and I had lunch there, walking and talking during a break from their conference. Your mom bought fresh pecans and offered some to a hungry looking man on our way out of the park. Always kind, always aware of others, always and forever examples for me to look up to. One of the best/worst memories for me is how your dad sang his "newest" song in my kitchen...one that he hadn't sung or recorded for others... and I wanted to record it...it was so beautiful. But my tape recorder didn't work and we joked how I would never be able to sell it! Your mom and dad also sang a song for us that Gwen thought was the most romantic song ever...about shoveling horse manure! You are so right...laughter is so important! I'm not crying anymore, I'm just feeling blessed.

Thank you all, listen to your hearts, trust this crazy world and we'll all keep it going togeher. Love, Sherry Baugh

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
I always looked forward to attending your sessions at NAEYC because you reminded us of the soul of our work with and on behalf of young children and their families. I remember telling you after a session you did with Deb Curtis and Marge Carter that I felt as if I had been to church. I am so grateful to have had the experience of hosting you when you were here in Dallas in 2004 and of getting to know you personally. I will always treasure those memories.

Anonymous said...

Tom Heart Hunter. That's how I always think of you. You have inspired so many of us to BE, to love children and love life. My thoughts are with you.
Gail Weiss

Anonymous said...

Dear Hunter Family,
I have been accused of being a Tom Hunter Groupie. I always attended any workshop he was offering at conferences I attended. Many years ago, I was working at Millwood Elementary school in Spokane. We had a "firestorm" in the area where many of our teachers had homes. They all had to leave to check on their homes and Tom, the school secretary, the custodian and myself stayed at the school and sang with the children while their parents came to pick them up. A few years later, my co-teacher and I were registered to go to Summer Symposium. The teacher I had done my student teaching with, worked with for years and became like a second mother to me, Dorothy Durkoop, passed away and the funeral was the day of Summer Symposium. Tom was doing a concert for the attendees that night and that was the first time I heard, "Rock Me To Sleep" Dorothy's kids gave me her rocking chair and I bawled like a baby at that concert. Tom quietly picked up a nearby tissue box and walked over and handed it to me. After that, whenever I was in one of his workshops, when he got ready to sing that song, he would pick up the tissues, walk over and hand them to me before he started it.
I always loved the Eency Weency Spider song and for the life of me could not remember the extended words. Every time I saw Tom I would ask if the spider song had made it to a tape yet. One day at WAEYC he saw me and said, "Oh, I have a new tape." The spider song was on it and I was thrilled! I know it must have been hard for you having him be away and going to all these conferences etc.but I want to thank you for sharing him with us. The world is a much better and Happier place thanks to Tom. He made everyone feel special and gave value to the profession of Early Childhood Education. The rest of the angels are "tuning up" to join him in song. I know my folks and Dorothy are waiting patiently for the concert.
Pam Thomas, Spokane WA

Anonymous said...

I hope you find Father's Day a treasured time for your family this year. Many are thinking of you today though you don't see us at your doorstep...we are not far.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend, a remarkable friend, who loves music, loves people so much
And my friend's name is Tom and his voice will go on through the lives of the people he's touched.

I retired from teaching 8 years ago and still isten to Tom's CDs from time to time. I looked forward to his "musings" and will miss his cheerful and passionate voice which reminded me of the stuff that really matters. But real friends do leave their footprints in our hearts, causing us to be more aware of the footprints we are leaving behind.

Thank you for letting Tom's "friends" in during this most private and difficult time. Anyone who has ever attended one of his lectures or concerts feels the loss of a dear friend and shares in the grieving process with you, but also looks ahead with renewed passion to impact those we love with music, a sense of acceptance, and love.
Peggy Divers

Deb Curtis said...

Dearest Tom and family,
Margie and I just returned from 2 weeks of work in California. It was wonderful and terribly difficult. So many people we talked with know you Tom and wanted to share stories, laughter and grief. A young musician in Northern California came up to me and told me the story of spending time with you recently and how much it meant to him. He described how your wisdom as well as the very practical tips you offered have been so important to him.

At one point he said, "Tom said he was going to check in with me in a year." The stark reality of that statement pushed me into the devastation and sadness that I have been holding at bay in the last month.

The next morning I found him and through my tears asked him if I could check in with him in a year. He was a bit confused but so open and kind. I told him I knew I didn't have much to offer in comparison with you Tom, but it would be such a gift to me to be able to keep your spirit alive in this way. He agreed- so I'll be checking in and looking for guidance from you. Your work isn't done my dear friend.

Much love to all of you.
Deb