Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Thursday, June 19, 2008

Friday June 20th

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So when I think
that all my energy is gone
And I can't
find the breath to carry on
And I know
I just can't go the extra mile
I remind myself I'm
God's Favorite Child"
-Tom Hunter

And that IS the truth. God's favorite child. Tom Hunter.

Erin and I sang your baptism song today, Tom, and I retold the story of you singing it for her on her special day. (I know it's okay with Tia that she shares.) How you smiled when you sang "and bless this one most." Erin and I laughed and cried. How we miss you. You aren't just God's favorite child. You are ours, too. It is very hard to let you go.

Still, I am picturing you in the Light of this Longest Day that approaches. And when the time comes I expect you to be there for me to sing "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder" because that song makes us laugh.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to all of you. Like so many, I am so sad to hear the news but, at the same time, my life is enriched for having known such a wonderful human being.

Sandi

Unknown said...

How beautiful that Tom was able to go the way he should - surrounded by the love of you, his amazing family. Thank you all for sharing his last days with us - you are strong and generous. It felt like we were all there with you. I hope you felt our presence.

chris arnone

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Irene, and Aeden-
I read your post and cried, and then smiled as Tom is in the hands of the Lord, singing away!
Lately, "If you Love Me" has been rolling in my head and I sing it to my kids. I was so touched by Irenes post last night about her memories of Tom. I know, Irene, your dad has "Planted" so many, many roses and apple trees for you (and for all of us!). I hope you continue to see those throughout your life- It so very clear from your strength and your intuitive posts, that he Loved, loved loved you all so very, very much!
Heidi in Minnesota- with very clean windows to my soul!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, I love you all. Linda

Anonymous said...

Surely God too is weeping this morning, even as the beloved son Tom is welcomed home.

Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping,
carrying seeds to sow,
will return with songs of joy
carrying sheaves with them.
Psalm 126

Prayers to all of you.

Gail Crouch

Anonymous said...

Surely God too is weeping this morning, even as the beloved son Tom is welcomed home.

Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping,
carrying seeds to sow,
will return with songs of joy
carrying sheaves with them.
Psalm 126

Prayers to all of you.

Gail Crouch

Marla Bronstein said...

I lit a candle and went to my computer this morning and read the words I have been dreading and expecting.

I am sad yet somehow relieved that his struggle is over, and sad again that your struggle continues.

I, and I am sure all of us who have read this blog since we heard about Tom's illness, will continue to be here for all of you.

I have so much gratitude and awe for all of you for your intimate sharing, during this private, painful time.

I hope you have felt the enormous love and strength sent you over the past few weeks...and will continue to.

Marla B.

Matt Ringstad said...

"I know that, I saw his shadow when I was sleeping last night."

-Hans R. (5 yrs old)

Anonymous said...

Tom, Gwen, Irene, Aeden,

Gwen, Irene, and Aeden,

Thank you all for sharing this journey with us. We know it's gotta be the hardest thing to do to let go of the earthly Tom and we light a candle along with you. But this one never goes out and will light the way when we need to find our way through the tough times, the exhausted times, the "why do I do this?" times, and the happy times. You are all so wonderful and caring-a model for us all. We send you our love.

Tom, have a great journey, for I think that is what you've always enjoyed-not so much the destination but the roads that we take that show us what is possible and what is right and true. We have a feeling that you'll be touching so many more lives than you already have (which is a pretty huge number!). To know that you'll be there when I need to talk, or cry, or when something goes just right or when I come upon a word that sounds sort of funny is a comforting feeling. Thanks Tom, for everything. We love you, we'll miss you, and we'll see you down the road.
"Bulb".

Jennifer and Mike

Anonymous said...

Dear Ones,

At camp each morning we would recall the previous day...snippets that remained with us. How does one recall Tom's life? A friend, a wondrous gift to the world beyond description!

Your journey will be filled with wonder and wonderful friends. You'll continuee to love each other and Tom's memory will help you carry on. God bless you for being your amazing selves!

If you ever need a "get-away", a place to visit, a phone call, a virtual hug, anything, I'd be so happy to help. Sherry Baugh

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad but so grateful that you all have shared so much with us. Tom's cds arrived in the mail last night, so they're playing here all day long and we're keeping it going in NYC.
Love to you all, Kristin Yorke

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Aeden, and Irene,

My heart is with you and the many who have loved and cherished the beautiful, rich, and giving heart and soul that Tom shared with us. Thank you for your generous sharing with all of us during this time.

:Love, Geof

Kjersten said...

Your community is holding you all in song today. We will miss Tom dearly.

Blessings,
Kj Hayes
and Oscar and Bryce

Anonymous said...

Tom,
PLEASE COME BACK.I miss you so much.
I just want you to sing one more time.
I have the C.D's but it is still not the same.
I am listening to your songs right now
because it reminds me of you and all
the good memories we have had.

T otally cool
O nly nice
M an that has music in his pockets

I read a book called Rocks in his pockets and
rock in his head. But this time it's music in
his pockets and music in his head!

You rock my socks!
-Emma Ritchie

Deb Curtis said...

Dearest Hunters, I am so very, very sorry, for you and for all of us.
Sending much love,
Deb

Tom Hunter,
I took you for a walk with me yesterday, on my dike by the Skagit River. We noticed the details-the blanket of sweet white flowers popping out of the clover, the newly turned soil of the farm fields, the leaves shimmering with the wind. I have loved spending time with you, playing together as we noticed the details.

I want to find a way to keep the memories of you strong with the details. The coolest thing (kind of weird too) is when I hear your voice on a song, you are right there, not just a memory, but the details of you, your face, your laugh, your energy.

Worried about that fading, I kept thinking, what else can I do? Margie told me this story about a women she knows who suggested her friends make a request as to something she could do for them after she died. They laughed together as they decided that they would call on her whenever there seemed to be no chance of finding a parking place. So now when this happens they call on Sister Mary Francis to help.

So I have a request of you. I think you'll like it. Whenever I become impatient with waiting- in a line, sitting in traffic, waiting for my two year olds to get down the steps-I'll call on you to help me notice the details that will nourish my heart and mind. Would it be alright with you if others did this too?

We can all laugh at ourselves and delight in the ordinary details of life with you right along side us.

It's not enough- but maybe it will help us not miss you so very much.

I love you Tom Hunter,
Deb

Anonymous said...

When I read the news that Tom had traveled on to life with the angels and the Lord, I had a vision and could hear the heavens singing to Tom, "We've Been Waiting for You". Know that you are held up in prayer by our family and that the "Heavenly Choir" is a bit brighter today with Tom's spirit singing and laughing with them.

May the peace of God surround you and support you this day,

Debbie Smith and family
in AZ

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Aeden and Irene,

Your generosity and kindness in bringing us into your lives at this time has been a blessing for so many. Thank you for helping us witness to the beauty and goodness of Tom, and to both give and receive the love and support- the human connection - found here (and everywhere if we only listen and perceive with our whole selves).

There will never be a time that I am with children or I am singing that I won't think of Tom and remember what's important, and how we are all called to be as human as we can be.

Through the sadness, I rejoice that Tom is known and knows 'full well' now.

My heart and prayers are with you as you begin this new journey together.

Lighting another candle for you, for Tom,

Blessings and love,

Jean
(Missoula)

Nancy V said...

Tom Hunter's will always live on in our memories. He's just one of those kind of guys you can't forget.
Seyon and I wish you much love and comfort as you begin this new chapter in your lives. Gwen, Aedan and Irene you are definitely in our thoughts.
Revelations 21:3,4.
Love,
Nancy and Seyon Verdtzabella

Anonymous said...

Tom Hunter's will always live on in our memories. He's just one of those kind of guys you can't forget.
Seyon and I wish you much love and comfort as you begin this new chapter in your lives. Gwen, Aedan and Irene you are definitely in our thoughts.
Revelations 21:3,4.
Love,
Nancy and Seyon Verdtzabella

Anonymous said...

Dear Hunter family,

Strange that I found myself wide awake in bed at this very hour thinking and praying for your wonderful family. My first thought was the typical and jealous thought of how very unfair it seems for Tom to be called home early.

But then I thought about how very, very lucky we all are to know a family and a person with the capacity to paint the world in such a mural of hope, passion, joy and laughter.

I thought for awhile about how very special Tom is to so many people, so many people that I love and care about. And I thought if he’s this special to us…well, God must have really missed one of his favorites so much that he couldn’t be without him any longer.

Tom is just that special, he always will be and his family is too. We are so lucky to have you in our lives.

I am so grateful that Tom was able to see even fraction of how many people he has touched with his music, his humor and his incredible spirit.

I thought for awhile Irene, about how you and I sometimes feel that the world is so hard to understand, but at least we understand each other. And I found myself thinking, ‘Tom, I promise to be there for your daughter. I promise that when things are too hard for either of us to understand I will be there to stand beside her. I promise.’

I love you Hunter family. Your family is a reflection of all the myriad shapes that love and joy and true kindness can take in this world and I am so proud to know all of you.

-Kessa

Anonymous said...

I want to express my sympathies to your family and thank you for sharing Tom and your family life over these last couple of months. Your openness is so appreciated and served as a reminder to me to be watchful of all of those little things we take for granted each and every day. --pjones

Anonymous said...

"Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just round the corner.
All is well."

Harry Scott Holland
1847-1918
Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral

Anonymous said...

Hello Hunter clan,

I too have been dreading and expecting those words every time I pulled up the blog . . . and this morning, there they were.

I shared the news today with some of my dearest ones, the children with whom I love and work each day. They've known from the start that Tom was sick and wasn't going to heal. Their kindnesses overwhelmed me in their wisdom, and they seemed good reminders for us all.

"You should look at his picture and put it here ("here" being our Family Wall of photos, where children will often go to see the members of their family when they are missing them)."

"You should be with your friends because your friends give you love." Indeed they do.

"You should look at his picture" & we all did right then; they all knew where to find it. And we all looked at a smilin' Tom with his arm thrown over my shoulder.

Then, it was time for nap, and as they each bundled into bed, I sang a lullaby . . . no CD player playing, just a voice, singing, overcome with love.

I hope you all can hear that voice singing to you now . . . and feel Tom's arm thrown over your shoulder.

Thank you, thank you & those two words can't contain it all,

In love & gratitude,

Kelly Matthews

wynne said...

I showed my daughter a photo and asked her who it was in the photo. She said, "There's Tom. He's singing to someone else now."

-Finley (age 2)

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Irene and Aeden:
We feel very privileged to have been your next door neighbors for awhile. Witnessing the love you have for each other is truly inspiring. Although we have been out of touch, you have all been in our prayers. We send you lots of love and wish you peace. We know that Tom is around you every moment of every day.

The Dave & Debbie Seholm family

noonaroo said...

What a remarkable man!
Last night as I lay in bed praying for Tom and all of you, Gwen, Irene and Aeden... All of a sudden I had a vision of angles filling your living room and taking Tom with them. It was an amazing vision. I hoped that you all could see those angles ministering to Tom and to all of you. I guess it must have been around three in the morning or a little after. How could I have known? I couldn't have but I know God did. May God's love and comfort fill the coming days

Anonymous said...

To Gwen, Aeden and Irene,
My heart is with all of you. For Tom to leave in the light of the Solstice, when all the earth is exalted, is beautiful. To leave cradled in the tenderness of his beloved family...well, it's the best any of us can hope for. Here's a poem for you:

One Day...
you will find yourself
saying I do not know
how to live this life
without him.
Your heart will feel
shattered and spilled
around you, fragments
of who you once were.

On that day
remember that just as
everything has changed
nothing has, you are
simply witnessing
your house falling down
as it will, many times,
just not like this.

On that day
be mindful;
what he planted in you,
precious and unrivaled,
took root long before
the wind shook
your branches and caused
the fruit to fall.

So when you gather up
the pieces
of your aching heart,
to take with you
into a life forever-changed,
know that you will
find it all, right there…
just as he intended.

egharris, 6/20/08

Cadence and her family live in said...

T urtle namely Fred
O pen songs from tom
M y best frend tom

i love you tom
my fevrit song was pockits
he was a grate singer and really really nice. he never gave up on anybody.

tom is my angel.

love
emma skye davenport

Anonymous said...

Hunters, the eagles are soaring and singing, welcoming Tom

Cindy M.

Cori said...

Dearest ones,

It is an honour and a gift to be able to come here and read what so many have written, so beautifully, so heartfelt and so eloquent.

It has been the greatest gift to have both this space and the Beautiful Nighttime blog, to be invited and welcomed by Gwen, Irene and Aeden's updates to 'visit' Tom in his living room, and to be able to share our stories, songs, tears, laughter and gratefulness.

Thank you so much - Hunters for sharing these difficult days with us, and thank you to everyone else as well - those who have posted their memories and shared their stories, songs and poems, and those who I know quietly come to read but not post, who are nonetheless sharing their love.

What a gift to us all, and in turn what a gift to Tom, for him to be lifted high by song, candlelight, prayers and love from all around the continent. I can't think of a better send off for this journey, for him, for his family and for everyone else connected through him.

Thank you so very much,

With love
Cori Dusmann

Cadence and her family live in said...

The Ten Great Things About Tom hunter

1. He wasn't mean, he never put you down or called you names.
2. He was nice, he let us help him with stuff like working around the house and farm. I loved just being with him.
3. He was there with music for us when we had troubles.
4. He helped us with his music, it made us happy.
He helped us by hugging us alot. He and Gwen sang and made supper for us when our mom had cancer. And sometimes he made lunch too.
5. He was a great singer for everyone. I loved singing 'Angels might be anywhere at all" with him and the children's choir on Christmas Eve.
6. He sang really well, He always found tunes to fit the words really well, and he was never off key.
7. He was really good at playing his guitar, He played the right chords.
8. He was a great friend, He made me laugh and he let me sing in his concerts. I would do most anything with him.
9. He was like a father and brother to all, He is part of my family forever...
10. He wrote great stories and songs, especially the ones about the Turtle named Fred and the song about the socks.

I will love him forever and I will be sure to look before I sit so I don't sit on him. He is a great angel and friend.

with lots of love from,
Eliza Birch Davenport

Anonymous said...

Hunter Family,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. My 12 yr old son and I are leaving on a mission trip tomorrow morning for Chilca Peru,the light of love and compassion will be shining from our hearts to the children we will be ministering too. I will be thinking very fondly of Tom's love of community and the world. God Bless
Linda Sorbo BHS class of 94

Unknown said...

Every time I lead the song "Rock Me To Sleep" for Music Therapists there is a cryin' a laughin' a rockin' a touchin' and a most of all a healin'.

In that "great gettin up morning" Tom is being "rocked" and we can rock with him by "doing" what some of his last words said: "Keep it going, make it fun... It's your turn.

Yohann Anderson (Fellow folk singer, minister, publisher.)

There will be a tribute at CCC (Community Congregational Church) Tiburon on June 29th... One of Tom's favorite places of spiritual support and ministry for many years.

Anonymous said...

Dear Aeden, Irene, and Gwen,

So I'm looking at my guitar case that has all these names signed on it, from a gathering of friends at Gretchen's house after NWTC and the reason all those names are on it and the reason why every time I pack my guitar and close the lid that I'll always think of those wonderful people is all because of the name off to the right--Tom's.
Bringing the world together, which I'm just thinking is what you all have done by opening your doors to us all. What a gift you are to Tom. What a lucky guy.

Love to you all!

Unknown said...

My favorite benediction:

Depart now, in the fellowship of the Lord your God,
And as you go, remember,
In the goodness of God you were born into this world.
By the grace of God you have been kept all the day long, even until this hour,
And by the love of God,
Fully revealed in the life of the one we call Jesus,
You and I are being redeemed.

Bill Gaventa

Anonymous said...

Gwen, Aeden, and Irene,
My sadness at losing Tom is so overwhelming I can't quite find the words to express myself. Thank you all and Tom for sharing that brief time before the 20th. It meant so much to us. I will never ever forget that bear hug Tom gave me.
Irene, you should be a writer! You brought back such clear memories of Tom's laughter, his body movements, the way he reveled in humor, and the way he Always found something positive in even the most desperate circumstances.
I remember Tom's sermons at Lummi Island. Each one a gem, crafted like a song, leaving me, still an admitted atheist, sighing with a feeling of peace and hope. I was blessed to have known him.
I'm glad you had the time to share with Tom at the closing of his days on this earth. I lost my youngest sister in 1990, and I remember vividly, even today, the hours and minutes leading up to her last breath, her family surrounding her, bidding her farewell and a safe journey. Those moments as well as the births of my two precious daughters, are the most profound of my life.
Dying is such a solitary occasion; we all have to do it ourselves and no one can do it for us. But, even so, Tom found a way to share this monumental event with you, and I am so thankful that you will have these moments to cherish and remember together.
There walked a Big man.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Dear Hunter family,
Your unflinching descriptions of Tom's last days have been both painful to read and a source of unexpected comfort. When the lights goes out, we all experience feelings of disorientation. That is how I have felt today---disoriented. I listened to Tom's CDs for hours and came to the realization his voice and his message will not be quieted. There are too many of us who believed in him.
I can only hope that the messages of admiration and respect you are getting from all over the country give you some idea of how beloved he was. He touched our hearts, he inspired us to be better teachers, and he made us laugh. Oh, how he made us laugh.
Thank you for sharing him with us.
Kyra
Houston, TX

Anonymous said...

Dear, Irene, Aeden, and Gwen,
Today Tanner, Chloe, and I danced to the Angel's song. We went around and around in circles until we were very dizzy and full of laughter. It felt good. A couple of weeks ago at church we sang the Angel's song and I had a rough time getting through it, but today listening to Tom sing on our CD was like him saying laugh and be joyful. Tom brings us comfort even in his passing. We are grateful for Tom Hunter and we are grateful for the three of you, his special family, who has let us share in this experience. Thank You.
With much love and prayers,
Shantel Rapp and Family

Anonymous said...

As tears fall to the floor, I wonder how something like this could happen to such a wonderful man, such a loving family. My only thought is that he is in a better place now, able to watch over us all. We will be seeing him again some day and I look forward to hearing his songs and seeing his smile. My heart reaches across the miles to you. All my sympathies during this difficult time.
Maya
(Brentwood, TN)