Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Wednesday June 4th

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm remembering parties at your houses...both of them...and taking a very young Susan to winter concerts at WWU, and another show where you showed off your fancy shirt! Good times.

Victor Frankl said "the last freedom is choosing your attitude," and it appears that you have chosen well

Love,
Rob (and T and S)

Anonymous said...

hi. thinking of you all every single day... i have not cried yet today, though... woohoo.

nite.

rachel :D

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom, Gwen, Aeden, Irene, and all,
Today I wrote a song that came from Tom and his experience. I didn't set out to "write a song for Tom," but it just came out today, and there's no mystery why. It's called "Never Before," the lyrics for which are below. If you'd like to hear a recording of the song, please go to www.beepositive.net and scroll down to the bottom right of the home page.

Never Before
Words and music by David Hall
For Tom Hunter and Family

Never before has there ever been seen
A man with so much love in his heart
Never before has there ever been seen
A man with so much love in his heart

Never before…..

Never before has there ever been read
A book with so many pages to turn
Never before has there ever been sung
A song so easy to learn

Never before has there ever been heard
A sound so sublime
Never before has there ever been written
A word without a rhyme

Never before….

Never before has there ever been a cookie
That tasted so sweet
Never before has there ever been a friend
That I was so happy to meet

Never before has there ever been seen
A man with so much love in his heart
Never before has there ever been seen
A man with so much love in his heart

Never before…



I hope "Never Before" finds some ears for Tom's sake.

Sincerely,
David Hall
Children's Musician
Portland, OR
www.beepositive.net

Anonymous said...

Tom (and Gwen and Irene and Aeden),

I just figured it out. You are still doing it. Right now, with this strange and uninvited thing that is happening to you, you are still doing it - still "keeping it going" yourself. You are still teaching us! You are still teaching us to lead with the heart, to love and let others love you. I am in awe of your love for the world and the openess of all of your hearts. Since I met you and have had the benefit of your counsel and wisdom, stories and humor - well, I haven't been able to close my heart or my mind since. You have (and this moment you are all continuing) changed my life.

My classes are out for the summer now, and I am spending most of my days cleaning my classroom, touching everything, remembering everyone and every moment of another precious year with amazing children. I keep your music playing as I work and I sing along at the top of my voice, and occasionally I sit down and have a good cry, not really of sadness per se, but because my heart is so full and so grateful for all the lines in the web that connects us all. I think everyone you have ever touched is working to help "sing you home" right now.

Don't hurry, but I know the angels are:

Waiting for you to come to this place - and they are glad that you are coming.

Thanks for all the lessons,

Marty Peterson
Multnomah Playschool
Portland Oregon

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! I thought of you this morning as my 3 1/2 yr.old granddaughter and I sat on my front porch...we were watching the birds at the feeder, singing and rowing to row, row, row your boat...making cookies...listening to your cd/s...she seems to know how special your music is! as we planted seeds of course we sang the seed song...thank you for adding to these so precious moments...Kathy Holguin (scaeyc)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom.
It's Aaron Calvert.
I met you last summer at the Good Stuff for Kids Conference. I remember the small discussion group you led on the last day of the conference where we were all sharing ideas on what we might take away from the conference and apply in our classrooms. I told you I was taking away "The Illy Ally Oh". We sang that at school today and everybody was standing up. Also, i was able to chat with you in Chicago this past fall at the NAEYC conference. We talked about the Sloop John B, I bought a copy of "Visits to the Heart of Education." I wanted to let you know that i read "Black Asphault" to my entire faculty at a meeting
and it was much appreciated. I love all of those stories!
I want you to know that you have been a huge inspiration to me. Thank you for that and i love you.
Aaron Calvert

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tossed a chunk of ice lightly into the air and watched it land on the driveway? If you have, then you have seen that chunk of ice shatter and spray it shards sharply into all directions. That is my heart today.

And yet I know that a spirit such as Tom's is destined for a journey to come that is not ice shards but is, let me see if I can describe: Rays of sun glowing with the fragrance of growing things joined with pulsing souls and hearts surrounded in blue and silver light with chords and notes spiraling and dancing outwards and inwards with joyful layers of glory. Words can't quite do it. But close.

MaryAnn F. Kohl
www.brightring.com

Anonymous said...

I wrote a book called "Walking Molly Home", for a friend of mine who died of brain cancer last year. It was a customized book just for her based on her beliefs of how we exit this world and head "home". If you would like a copy, I can send you the pdf...I think you would find it comforting and good for the spirit.
I'll try sending it to one of tom's email addresses.

MaryAnn Kohl
www.brightring.com
maryann@brightring.com

Anonymous said...

I met you once in North Vancouver, Canada and that encounter changed my life for the better. My daughter and I listen, dance and sing along with you music daily and she finds enormous comfort in your voice at night time.
I was on my first practicum in early childhood education when I was fortunate enough to be invited to hear you present. I was moved, inspired and in that afternoon your stories, music, humour and general way of being in the world reinspired me and I knew I was meant to be there and on this journey working alongside and with children.
Thank you for sharing so much of yourself and for making me smile so often.
I am constantly reflecting on who and what I want to be when I grow up but what I do know is that I hope to be like you in the way you relate to and about people.

I am sending all of my thoughts and love to you and your family.

Love Jenn Hoile xox

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you quite a bit today, Tom. Sending love and a giant hug. Kristin (Yorke)
p.s. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you...

Anonymous said...

Tom, At a loss for our own words, we went to Frederick Buechner, who said:
"When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.
For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost. When I'm feeling most ghost-like, it is your remembering me that helps remind me that I actually exist. When I'm feeling sad, it's my consolation. When I am feeling happy, it's part of why I feel that way.
If you forget me, one of the ways I remember who I am will be gone. If you forget, part of who I am will be gone. "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" the good thief said from his cross (Luke 12:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well."

And to borrow words from a song -
"when this time is in the past, we will remember."

Thank you and love to you and your family.
Sandi Dexter and Suzanne Sumi

Anonymous said...

I attended a PCPO workshop in Portland 10 years ago and still remember what you said then in between the wonderful songs - "every child deserves to know that someone is waiting for him or her." My now 14 year-old has always known that someone is waiting just for her, and I thank you for teaching me such an important lesson early in her life. I try to pass it on. Thank you for your music and your wisdom - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. With a grateful and loving heart, Jean

postmaster said...

Tom and Family-For all of us in the Nooksack Valley School District “family”, I wanted to express my sadness and sorrow, but don’t quite know how. At the same time, we are reminded of our connection and relationship with you, your music, and your spirit. You would want it that way. You are truly a model of an “emergent Christian”, and have been one way before they started writing books about it! You have put into action, for all of us, a living example of the Christian faith, a community builder, and endless love for others. Over the years, I have heard numerous folks express that “if they were to become one (a Christian), they would want to be like Tom Hunter”. What a testament and a legacy to a life well lived! In our district we have talked about having a “firm persuasion” to our work-work that is good for us and good for the world all at the same time. Well Tom, you have been the very definition of that term. Thank you.

As a fellow lover of great music and poetry, I remembered a poem by Maureen Hilliard called A Parting Blessing, and it seemed to be appropriate here.

May you be blessed
With vision
In these shadow times.
May light invade the darkness.
May it be a soft brilliance,
as bare as candlelight,
guiding your through
twilight ‘til dawn.
And when the dawn breaks,
may you find yourself upon a threshold.
May you enter
and go through,
and may you emerge
into the dance-
a whole and holy new
dance of grace.

Amen.
Mark Johnson and the Nooksack Valley School Community

postmaster said...

Dear Tom
I just visited with Peter Shober today who told me of the news of your illness. To say I was stunned is putting it mildly. As I walked home from the church/preschool, so many memories of you came flooding through: you, singing with my class of 4 and 5 year-olds and teaching them how to make up songs; you, getting everyone to sing the Shirt Song, even the grown-ups in the audience at the family concert; you, leading a chorus of The Pumpkin Vine song to an overflowing crowd in Bozeman at the MTAEYC conference one October (you have to know that that song is hands-down one of the favorites of every one of my classes!); more memories: you, helping to lead worship and song at our church in Missoula. My final memory is a precious one....when we discovered you were giving a workshop at NAEYC in Chicago this past November. What a happy surprise! I've kept the words and tune to As Human As They Can Be in my heart since then, when I cried most of the way through it. Tom, you've been an inspiration to me personally, and through me, to countless others with whom I have shared your music and your worldview. It is particularly ironic that you, through whom the word - and the Word - flows so eloquently, is now faced with an absence of words. Yet, don't we know that the deepest Mystery needs no words to communicate? Tom, you, Gwen, Irene, and Aeden will be in my heart and prayers. We will keep it going.
With love and gratitude,
Jean Woessner
Missoula, MT.
(University Congregational Church, and UCC Children's Center Preschool)

postmaster said...

Dear Tom,

I'm sending along a couple of photos I have of you. I love the one of you and Gwen in Salt Lake City. And, of course, I'm sending the photo of you singing for the Parish Nurse Recognition Event in May of 2007. I remember that you donated your time and had to run catch a ferry or something...but you made time to open the event and honor the parish nurses. So many wonderful memories in such a short time...thank you, thank you! You are now, as always, leading the way for profound and juicy living!

I don't know if you received the offer on the blog because I'm not sure I posted it correctly. So, here it is again. I'd love to offer you a session using healing touch. It's not a massage or anything and you remain fully clothed. You can use "energy" words to describe it but I think it is a way to connect with the very essence of who a person truly is...I think it's a way to literally put "hands on" the Holy Spirit within. I would love to offer my deepest honor and love for your "beingness" through this simple but profound method. It has a wonderfully healing and calming effect upon the nervous system that could be a real blessing for you.

So, Tom, I'm ready to come if I get the word. I'd love to be of service in this small way.

Love and Blessings to you, Gwen, your family and so many loving friends!

Donna Gustin

Bright Ring, art book author MaryAnn Kohl said...

I wanted to add my third comment of the day.
You changed the musical lives of my children with your visit to Silver Beach Elementary School here in Bellingham many years ago. My composer daughter says it changed her way of thinking musically. I know from the talks you and I explored many times about music in our lives with our children...the power of it, and how it knits our family unit together in one little melody. We'll keep it going, for those someday grandbabies, and for now, within our little family of four adults. Thank you, Tom. Thank you thank you thank you thank you.
If only I could sing to you in this email. I would sing the lyrics from one of my daughter's songs based on these words: "Wherever you go, I also go, I carry your heart, in my heart."

MaryAnn Kohl
www.brightring.com

Bright Ring, art book author MaryAnn Kohl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marla Bronstein said...

Tom Hunter day. June 5, 2008, Bellingham
http://media.bellinghamherald.com/static/images/downloads/hunterproclamation.pdf

Well, La
Dee
Dah

Do we put up a tree, light candles, sing songs, cry, laugh, hug, or just sit in the stillness and send our love across the universe till it smacks you gently in the heart? How about all of the above?

Ain't you still something Mr. Hunter?

Anonymous said...

Tom and family,

I have met Tom a few times when my daughters and I attended various performances in the community. We have a few cassettes of your songs and our favorite has been "Did you know" or as we like to call it the "laugh from your belly song". When my girls were smaller it was something we would sing really loud in the car, but they are getting older and too cool for such things these days. After hearing the news of your illness I shared with them what was happening. Later that day with them and my two god daughters in the car I put on the tape with that song. 4 young ladies all of a sudden were not too cool any more and they all sang like they were preschoolers again. It brought me to tears. You have touched our lives and I know so many others. We will be praying for all of you through this time.

Unknown said...

Dear Tom: When I heard about your illness, it brought back lots of memories. Music, laughter and conversations. Particularly vivid for me is Michael and my wedding. I was feeling pretty clutzy (the usual groom sort of thing I suppose) and very much at loose ends. You were such a calming influence - you made every thing go great. It was a really special day and you deserve much of the credit. And it worked! This is our 28th year of wedded bliss. So I want to say THANKS for everything! You are an incredibly special guy and I am so glad you are a part of my life.We will be sending good thoughts in your direction constantly.
Love,
Steve Scott

Anonymous said...

I met Tom at the United Methodist Assoiciation of Preschools conference last November, 2007 in Florida. His sense of humor was fun, his music joyful,but more importantly, his sense of humanity was deeply moving. We sat at the same table for several meals with others and one morning I saw Tom sitting alone. As a UMAP board member, I did not want our guest speaker to feel abandoned and yet I did not want to intrude if he needed some "quiet, reflective" time. He saw me hesitate, pondering my next move and motioned for me to come sit. I joked I was afaid he would think I was stalking him if I invited myself to his table. I do not remember what we discussed as others found their way to the table, but I do remember and am grateful for Tom's warmth and sincerity.
Folks who were at the UMAP conference last fall are sharing information about Tom and many prayers are with you from Florida.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Thank you for continuing to share your life and teach us all through this impossible time.
"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

Marla Bronstein said...

Just One More Time

Just one more time he said to see the sky
One more time to smell your hair
Just one more time to tell you I love you
One more time, I want to be there.

It happened so suddenly
It seemed so unreal
This thing, it is fatal
How on earth will we heal?

This is how I’m getting by
This is how I’m getting through
Every day, every way,
I cherish memories of you

Just one more time, he said, to see the sky
One more time to smell your hair
Just one more time to tell you I love you
One more time, I want to be there.

Singing songs, in a circle
Greeting friends, far and wide
Barbequing in the backyard
Even when it’s raining outside

This is how I’m getting by
This is how I’m getting through
Every day, every way,
I cherish memories of you

Just one more time, he said, to see the sky
One more time to smell your hair
Just one more time to tell you I love you
One more time, I want to be there.

So many children you have known
So many now are fully grown
They will take you songs, the word you’ve penned
And future voices will forever blend

This is how I’m getting by
This is how I’m getting through
Every day, every way,
I cherish memories of you

Just one more time, he said, to see the sky
One more time to smell your hair
Just one more time to tell you I love you
One more time, I will be there.

Anonymous said...

Our family has been listening to "Many a Mile" quite often since we bought it in March at a preschool concert. I sing several of the songs as lullabies to my children every night. Ellen, 4.5, has been quite distressed to hear that Tom is ill and will die (she knows a lot about death because her Daddy died last year). This evening, before I could get my singing underway, she asked me, "Does Tom Hunter know about God?" I answered yes, that he leads a church the way our priest does. She said, "He sings his songs to God. The songs aren't about God, but he sings them to God." She's right, isn't she? God bless you all.

Christina Nichols
Lynn St.

Cori said...

Dear Tom,

This is another thank you, on top of the many I've already said. You're really making me think these days - "And what else is true?" keeps popping into my head, as I remember to stand with my feet planted firmly on the ground. I look at hands, think of what those hands do, as I'm busy on the playground, or colouring and making messes (today it was tie-dye - I have fabulously technicolour hands!), look at the wee hands of my littlest littles and wonder what they are going to do with those hands over the next 60 or 70 or 80 years...

But mostly, I think about music, and how you've helped me reclaim it. At camp, and at choir too, I'd be so envious of all those people who had music in their homes as they were growing up - singing while doing dishes, or playing instruments together, making up songs about day to day life. I wanted to have that in my history, so badly, and didn't know how to create it in my present. But I came to camp, and learned I didn't have to restrict my singing to just when I was with kids, that I didn't need an excuse, and how my voice has risen in song ever since then. I look at Xander and realize that he'll never look back and wish he had music in his childhood - we do all the things I envied and wished I had done - we sing all day long, write songs about everything that you could possibly imagine, there's instruments and choirs and song circles...and the strangest thing is that it crept up on me, and until now, until I had this opportunity to reflect, I hadn't even noticed or appreciated what had blossomed over the past 5 years.

So thank you, Tom, for teaching, for mentoring, for setting an example of how to live life to the fullest and still notice and appreciate the most minute details along the way. I am more grateful than you will ever know.

With love
Cori Dusmann

postmaster said...

Dear Tom, Gwen, Aeden, and Irene,
I remember fondly NW Teachers Camp and the "cultural exchange" between the teachers of the PNW and the teachers from Illinois: the Midwest Group. Being a native Midwesterner myself, I could appreciate the delight of that group of coming to camp at Seabeck in the heat of summer. We made a connection, and when I was visiting back there, I was invited to a teacher party in your honor that was only about 10 miles from my sister's house. Linda Plant still remembers the surprise on your face when you saw me at their party. You had been flying around visiting teachers all over the country, and I think you were momentarily at a loss for words. Did someone travel 2,500 miles to attend this party? We all had a great laugh from this surprise. Last week, I found Linda's phone number and made contact with her and once again we reconnected because of you. (Aeden was at this camp session by the way.)
You have done so much to help teachers, and friends feel loved and appreciated, and musical. Much love is coming back from far and near. Wendy Borgesen

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Even though I only met you a few times, I was devastated when I heard the news of your disease. I am so sorry and sad.

I was taking care of my father in law, John Anderson, the day you came to visit. I tried to stay in the background so you two could visit but I couldn't help but sing along when he asked you to sing. I remember you asking him what his thoughts were about dying, as he lay there dying. That scene remains etched in my mind's eye. The last time I saw you was at John's memorial service. Your tribute to him was so kind and generous. Thank you for taking the time to visit John and to share your thoughts about him at the service. Though I don't really know you personally, I can tell that all the wonderful things your friends and family have expressed on this website ring true. You are a remarkable person and will live forever in the hearts and minds of all of us in the Bellingham community and beyond.
Hugs,
Joanie Greenberg