Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Saturday, May 24, 2008

Saturday May 24th

Please include your full name in your comments to Gwen and Tom.

23 comments:

joyce galloway-mihalovich said...

dearest Tom and family,

It is a glorious morning and even at 6:47 (during my walk with our dog) the warmth of the day was surrounding me. i had left the house rather "undone" after viewing the pictures on your blog and reading Aiden's piece. As the tears started to fall, i was reminded of a very significant morning in the chapel at NWTC. i was struggling with some very strong emotion after caring for my dad earlier that week and i said something like, "i don't dare to start crying about all this because i won't ever be able to stop." You smiled and quietly whispered, "Oh go ahead- you've still got 4 more days of camp and there's bound to be someone still around when you're done!"
The connections and network you've facilitated have truly convinced me that there will always be loved ones around "when we're done." i am so grateful for the many things you've taught me. My heart is with you all as we journey through this time together...

Anonymous said...

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

postmaster said...

I attended the Good stuff conference withTom,Bev, and Michael in August 2006. Hearing Tom speak, sing and compose songs touched me so deeply that it changed who I am in every area of my life. Because of Tom, I am a better mom, teacher, sister, wife, friend. I will forever be grateful.
I wish your family peace and wonderful moments together.
Thank you and God Bless
Heidi Wolf
Grace Neighborhood Nursery School
Minnesota

Deb Curtis said...

Dearest Tom Hunter,
It's a sunny morning for the first time in a long while. It's the first morning that I haven't cried while reading your blog. There is a wonderful photo of you laughing in that amazingly, deep, full way that you do. That joyful memory of you and the sun will be my meditation for the day. Casey graduates from college tomorrow. I'm learning how to be good at sadness and joy at the same time. That's another memory of you I will carry through this day. Much love, Deb Curtis

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
Of all the songs you have written, I can't think of you without hearing "Angels might be anywhere at all..." as the background music.
I'm grateful for the time Jen and I got to be part of the community whose hearts are moved and lightened my your music. Thank you, thank you.
I'm sending much love and many prayers out for you and your family.
-Ellen Fiscus

Tom Rawson said...

Dear Tom: Thank you so much for modeling for so many the ingenuity to think outside the box, the creativity to color outside the lines, and the courage to put contrary philosophy into action. Your noble work continues in the lives of thousands you have mentored and inspired, as well as in the communities of dedicated educators and peace makers that you have brought together. With love and deep gratitude, Tom Rawson

Carolyn said...

Carolyn Harris and Barbara England Church Related Early Childhood Education

Dear Tom:

Barbara and I have known you for many years. I especially remember your singing the song "Memories" for Bev Bos at the CAEYC Convention in Sacramento when she gave the keynote address. You have always been an inspiration to us.

We wrote you notes last week, but they may not reach you until next week. I wrote you that music is forever. We will remember you through what you say and sing and what you do for children.

Lots of love to you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Carolyn and Barbara

The Modesto Kid said...

Dear Tom, I remember listening to you play many times at my parents' church (College Ave. Congregational, Modesto CA) when I was young, and singing along. Still love folk music 30 years later.

-- Jeremy Osner

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom: I'm thinking of you and Gwen and Aeden and Irene, and holding you all in the Light. We shared the stage in Alaska and in Idaho, singing and talking about peace and nonviolence. You have given all who know you and listened to your songs of love, comfort and support, a message of hope and joy. I send you love and appreciation of the music, joy and fun you gave me. And I still think you look cute! Hanne Sonquist

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom and Family,

I was devastated to hear about your illness from Andrew. I felt at a loss, deeply saddened, and just
cried, cried & cried. Then, all of a sudden I started to sing Red River Valley. I even sing it when I'm changing the diapers of the 2 year olds in my classroom...song happens anywhere.
You and I met three years (summer 06) at Good Stuff. Good stuff has always been a wonderful source of motivation but, more importantly, I looked forward to singing with you, Bev, and Michael...singing songs of the past to help the soul of today.
I will always treasure the times we have spent together...singing at The Orinda Preschool(TOPS) Sing A Along, grabbing a bite at Alekos Greek "Dive in a Hole" with Shannon and Andrew,or having deep-intense-humorous conversations about anything and everything. The door is always open with you and that's what makes you so magical.
I am richly blessed to know you and to have you in my life. Thank you for for sharing your love devotion and passion of children & nature.
Tom, you fill my heart with wisdom, laughter, inspiration, and song...I will carry you with me always. When I go to Good Stuff this summer, I will bring these feelings and moments shared and share the magic that is you!
It is my wish that you and your family find peace & comfort during this journey! Remember that you are loved...know that I love you my friend!
I believe that we will meet again and when we do, I hope that you'll be stroking your beard, have a smile upon your face, and your guitar in hand.

So until then, All my Love,

Doreen

Anonymous said...

Tom, your music will be a never-ending gift to our family for generations. I grew up on Tom Hunter songs, and now every night my daughters ask me to sing "Rock me to Sleep" (we call it "Crickets"). We've also had a lot of fun with "My Turtle's Name is Fred". Michelle just posted a video of Mikayla (our 4 1/2 year old daughter) singing Rock you to sleep, and we wanted to share it with you

http://MannFamily.smugmug.com/gallery/5010206_wVgs5#300563936_XEaD2-A-LB

You're in our prayers...

Anonymous said...

I can;t remember the very first time I met Tom, but I do know that I was very young and it was at a children's concert with Bev Bos (or Teacher Bev, I i will always know her) and Michael Leeman. My mom, Sally, introduced me, she has been signing for them for as long as I can remember. Ever since then, I have had the pleasure of seeing Tom perform with Michael and Teacher Bev (and my mom, of course) at least once a year. The songs that they sing make me feel like I am five years old every time I hear them. Tom has not only been a kind, friendly face that brings light and happiness to my life regularly, but his music has and always will hold a very special place in my life. I can't say that I knew Tom extremely well, but I always felt as though I knew him because of his songs. When I am feeling homesick or lonely, I listen to the CDs he made with Teacher Bev and Michael and, without fail, things get better. Whether it's singing about T-shirts at the top of my lungs, or hearing "Sloop John B" the way it was meant to be heard, Tom and his music have played a staggeringly integral role in my life. I am 24 now, and though it is a long way off, I can't wait to sing "Toy Made Our of Wood" for my children someday. Thank you, Tom, for everything that you are and everything that you have meant to me and so many others like me.

Anonymous said...

Tom - I can't imagine what raising my kids would have been like without your music. My memories are largely punctuated with your songs. The time you sang the monster song and my 2 yr old Blythe went home scared of the monster. All the concerts. The kids (and grandkids) building houses with pillows and cushions. I'm the mother of the Modesto Kid - and when he was in coma, I kept hearing and singing your "rock me to sleep" song. When he finally recovered, the whole church sang 'He's coming home". When my mother died a few years ago, my inheritance was a rocking chair - I sat in it and rocked and sang "rock me", finally able to weep freely.
So many songs, so many stories. Thank you so much for helping us to sing our lives.

Peace and Love
Elise Osner from Modesto CACC.

Anonymous said...

Dear, dear Tom,
The tears just keep coming, along with the songs and the memories of long ago. You touched me then and ever since, and I am so grateful for that.

Thank you for so many gems, one of which is meeting Linda Spence when you were recording the children's album. And "Rock Me to Sleep" and "Coming Home", which I have been humming all day. And for not having so many answers, but for asking damn good questions.

Many times today I heard your laugh and saw that look; the one where you lift your head at an angle, grin under your beard and raise your brows with a chuckle. It is infectious.

I am so grateful that we lived in the same part of the world at the same time, and that I was lucky enough to spend a little time with you. You are a bright star that made many lives better; mine too.

Marilyn Powers Scott's lyrics come to mind:
"You are loved
deeply loved.
You are a well cherished garden.
You are loved,
deeply loved.
You are a treasured child.

All your life
All your days,
from the very first moment of being
You've been loved, greatly loved.
You are loved.

Thank you Tom, for being a minstrel of the positive, the thoughtful, the possible, the silly and the everyday richness of our lives.

Much love to you, Gwen, Aeden and Irene, and blessings on your journey home,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
Your music lives on. I was a teacher at UCLA's University Village Center. Susan Wood and Anne Broussard brought you to our center a few times. The last time you sang with us I had you sign my CDs and write that they belonged to me. (Previous CDs I had purchased had been borrowed by colleagues and never returned. Your music was popular at UV.) Wishing you peace and your family strength.

Most sincerely,

Amy Aguayo

cathy Dexter said...

tom and family- just got the news yest and am still in denial- is this really happening? tom, you are the best of the best on every level-the soul, the heart, the dad, the friend, the lover, and the artist- you have inspired me and given me joy and comfort and i pray you be overwhelmed with love and that your faith is stronger every moment- all the beauty of this earth and the connection we feel will be a million fold on the streets of Glory-in gratitude, cathy dexter

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I cherish you and your music. You have taught me more about life than I yet realize. Your music is part of each of my days. I first became aware of your music when my son was about two. I took a small group to listen to you at All for Kids in Seattle. It was then that the magical spell of your voice was cast upon me for life. Lines from your music began to became part of daily life. My oldest daughter and I have a close playful bond related to I have a box. We take turns inviting each other to peek into each of our boxes. As the children in my class paint lines on their easel painting I think of you. These are their lines on the papers. You welcomed me to teachers camp with a warm hug. I left camp that year eager to learn more about hugs and I have. After returning from teachers camp for my first year I told my youngest son about the skit with you and Aeden's arms. He grasped the idea and loves to become my arms. This is a moment of bonding that you sparked between my son and I. Your music in deep within my other two children too and I wait to see how they will use it. Your voice, music and words bring me joy and comfort me when I am down. I will miss every part of you. You have touched so many peoples lives. Thank you for touching mine.

Laura Jimerson said...

Dear Tom, Gwen, Aeden and Irene,

I don't really know yet what to say. I don't want this news to be true. I'm struggling to believe. I would like to share some of my appreciations for you, Tom.

Your words, kindness, goodness, love, compassion and beautiful songs have deeply inspired me. You made me laugh and cry at the same time. Thank you so much for Teachers Camp. It was potent medicine. I always hoped I would go back. I am taking on the challenge of creating the camp experience in the world I live in daily.

I have the postcard I wrote to myself in 2005 on my bed stand (I found it while cleaning one day).

It says, "Stretch your reality. Be brave and courageous. When you are expected to behave think of the worst possible thing you could do in the situation. Be honest, have integrity, don't let fear stop you from acting. Listen compassionately. Listen. Love. Give more hugs and back rubs. Pronounce words to hear the sounds they make. Ph.D. Patty Cake* Give, share. Ask others what feels good. Clear conscience."

*A hand percussion exercise Flip taught us.

When I found this, I felt I had mined a treasure. I couldn't believe that I had written those words. Thank you for your inspiration, your dedication and your brilliance. I wouldn't be half the educator I am today with out the experience you provided. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Please let me know how I can help. I can still use a shovel in the barn. And yes, I want to buy your CD!

Love, Hugs and Back Rubs,
Laura Jimerson
Bellingham, WA

postmaster said...

Dear Gwen and Tom:

I'm so sorry to hear your medical news. Tom, I've known you and your work for many years and you've always been an inspiration to all of us. You wrote a wonderful song for a conference I chaired in San Jose. It was, "If it's about kids, it's about time." I remember telling you the theme of the conference and was absolutely delighted when you came up with the the song.

The early childhood community is going to miss you, not only for your songs and wonderful personality, but for all the work you did.

You are One of a Kind. With my sincere heartfelt feelings. Lee McKay

Anonymous said...

Tom I remember when I was young listening to your music and feeling such a great sense of peace and joy in your voice, I remember your music to be so calm and inspirational. I grew up with your kids and just a block down the street from you, I will always remember the kindness of your smile and wave while I rode my bike down the street. Your vibe is so motivating and powerful. You are in our hearts and minds for ever. Your music will always play and your spirit will always shine.
Ben Hummel
Victor St Neighbors

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy knowing the sadness each of you must feel. It is of course, balanced by the incredible love and devotion that you give to each other, which in turn, is extended to all who know you. Thank you for this gift. I am sending love and positive energy your way.

DarbyAnne said...

GWEN!!!!!! CALL ME! Are you still in the B'ham area? Jared's Auntie.... DARBY ANNE - 312-0409 home number. At the Highland Games daytime this weekend... but home otherwise.... PKLEEEEASE at least leave a message and contact number!

DarbyAnne said...

Gwen - CALL ME! 312-0409 (home) Love & Light - DarbyAnne (James) McConnell (Highland Games (daytime) this weekend, but otherwise around.