Click the link below to read more updates about Tom from his family:

Singing together somewhere in time

Singing together somewhere in time
Tom & Gwen

Tom Hunter

For information about Tom Hunter, his ideas, and his music, visit www.tomhunter.com.

Tom Hunter left all of us a legacy of celebration, music, compassion and giving to our communities. Throughout his lifetime, Tom worked with people of all ages and backgrounds to teach new ways of learning and living. We all are committed to "keeping it going" by remembering his smile and his music and his voice.

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for the Hunters during this transition, and the family is deeply grateful.

TOM'S HEALTH

Tom Hunter was diagnosed on May 20, 2008 with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease and died on June 20, 2008.

On September 2, 2008, a letter from the National Prion Disease Pathology Research Center confirmed that Tom had what's called 'sporadic CJD' (sCJD). His was an extremely rare type of sCJD that one in 4.5 million people are diagnosed with annually. We're very grateful that he did not have the inherited form, but it's critically important that a cure for all forms of CJD (caused by scrapy proteins in the brain which can take up to 40 years to manifest and kill their victims) are found. All forms of CJD are fatal.

The most accurate and up-to-date site for learning about CJD and supporting efforts to find a cure is http://www.cjdfoundation.org/ .

Tom and Gwen

Tom and Gwen
2007

Tom and Aeden

Tom and Aeden
May 8,2008

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
May 24th, 2008

To live on this earth
you must be able
to do three things:
To love what is mortal;
To hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

mary oliver

DONATIONS

Please help provide financial support by sending whatever you can. We are hoping for lots of $25. hugs- or whatever works for you - to help the Hunters with medical and transition expenses. They also want to protect the wetlands, forest and farm* that have seen so much of their love over the years and to help keep Tom's work alive in the world. (*Contributions given specifically for the mortgage have been moved with overwhelming gratitude to the new Tom Hunter Memorial Account described above.) If you wish to make a donation please make checks payable to Tom Hunter Family Donation (or to Tom Hunter Memorial Account) and mail to:

Whatcom Educational Credit Union
PO Box 9750
Bellingham, WA 98227

If you'd prefer to donate safely and securely using your credit/debit card, use this button:

Now the focus narrows to just the steps ahead. You have a chorus of knowing, loving voices all over this planet to sing you home.
flip

PHOTOS - NOW ON A NEW PAGE

Many of the photos from this page and also new ones have been moved to their own page and can be viewed by clicking on the link below. If you have photos to share please send them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com Thanks.

Singing with friends

Singing with friends
Salem Oregon 1990

Laughing at a story

Laughing at a story
June 7th from Marie
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" Indian Proverb
with love from Gege Manolis

Tom and Irene

Tom and Irene
June 2008

COMMENTS and HOW TO HELP

To leave a comment for Tom and his family please scroll to the bottom of this page, and then come back up to today's date on the left side. Click on "comments" and leave your message in the box on the right side of the comments page. Your comment will not show up immediately as all comments go through the postmaster. They will be posted as soon as possible. If your comment is not posted within 24 hours please contact the postmaster at tomhunterblog@gmail.com

There are many ways to help. Please click on www.tomhuntersupport.blogspot.com under Music, Meals, Flowers, Yard Work, Farm Work below or look for the How to Help section opposite the daily comments on the right side of the blog towards the bottom.

The Hunter Family

The Hunter Family

Words from Tom's Dad

May 26
Somebody noticed what you did today
Somebody noticed little things along the way
How you watched how you listened to what children do and say;
Somebody noticed what you've done alway
'Tis grace has brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

May 29
And the Angels took care of him.

May 31st
The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you, your family, the city of Bellingham, and the world, peace-- both now and forevermore. Amen

Tom with the love quilt

Tom with the love quilt
From First Congregational Church of Bellingham

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter

Aeden, Tom & Willard Hunter
Three Generations

Tom and Cindy

Tom and Cindy
Prayer rocks from Lummi Island
"Sometimes healing is more than getting better. Sometimes it's love revealed....." - Tom Hunter

Aeden and Tom, April '08

Aeden and Tom, April '08
For my dad
May 20, 2008

Here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
An image of grounding you’ve used lots before
Trying to make sense of this surreal, difficult time
While loving where I came from with infinite pride

It’s been amazing how many lines from your songs
Have been lights in the darkness when it all feels wrong
Have comforted, questioned, been profound and fun
Your capacity for humanity is second to none

This world is a better place because of who you are
And that’s known widely – near and far
In music, education, and matters of the heart
You’ve bettered lives right from the start

I’m so proud of you, of where I’ve come from
You’re a huge part of me and have taught me a ton
About being human, love, laughter, and tears
And how to keep going despite life’s fears

Please don’t worry about the rest of us
We’ll take care of each other and will always feel your touch
Your laughter, music, compassion, and voice
Will always be with us in the midst of life’s noise

So here I sit, feeling my feet on the floor
With love and gratitude deep down in my core
I’m so grateful for the time we have had
You’ll always be my mentor, my best friend, my dad.

-Aeden

Irene and Tom last summer

Irene and Tom last summer
The very best dad in the world
Laugh Lines

i’ve always loved your laugh lines,
the way you smile ear to ear
and you always have this easy way
of crushing any fears.
we’ve shared so much so far in life
and i’m so proud and glad
that i can say with confidence
i have the very best dad.

from raspberries to hasty moves
and the cutting edge again?!
to times when you have comforted me
over troubles with my friends.
you know how to relieve the weird feelings
when things don’t feel quite right
you let me put them in your hands
and throw them into the night.

we’ve shared trees against the sky
and books, poems, songs and walks
you taught me respect by looking again
and i’ve always loved our talks.
from dream stories to lake padden eagles
and coloring outside the lines
i can say with ease and confidence
you have the most lovely mind.

i remember all those wakeful nights
and running down the hall
you and mom sang lullabies
and sound asleep i’d fall.
i’m your goofball now—
i’ll always be whether we’re near or far
i’ll hold you close in who i am
no matter where we are.

i know it’s getting harder
to take in this fantastic world
just know i love you—i always will—
as daddy’s little girl.

Irene

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie

May 22, 2008 After baptizing little Maddie
Exchanging blessings

To My Old Brown Earth by Pete Seeger


To my old brown Earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of I

And you who sing
And you who stand near by
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine

with thanks to Cori Dusmann

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

May 22, 2008 At the Shepherd's

"I want my music to be grounded in the realities of what kids and teachers know. I want it to 'ring true; as it helps people laugh, cry, remember, celebrate, and learn."

— Tom Hunter

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03

Tom in his backyard Labor Day 03
"I've been visiting schools to sing songs for almost 30 years. I've been in a lot of classrooms, presented a lot of workshops, talked with a lot of teachers, and sat on a lot of floors with kids. If I bring reminders of what's important in education, they come from finding those moments when the heart shows up, moments that peek around the corner and need to be invited farther into the room so we can see them. Such moments might seem ordinary but they are way too important to be captured in test scores. They fill teachers (and sometimes children) to overflowing."

Quoted from Tom's introduction to his book of essays : "Visits to the Heart of Education: Remembering What's Important" (available from Song Growing Company - see link below)

"But what if we can't get there?
What if it's too far?
What if we can't find our way from right here where we are?
What if it doesn't matter
that we can't find our star?
What if God comes anyway
right here where we are?"
-Tom Hunter

Northwest Teachers Camp

Northwest Teachers Camp
from Cori Dusmann

Photos

If you have photos of Tom that we can use on the blog, please email them to us at tomhunterblog@gmail.com
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi, the Sufi Poet

Clarification -- How to Comment

To comment, please click on the "comments" button below todays date. On the comment page - please write your comment in the box on the right side of the page and then sign your first and last name. Your posting will go through the postmaster - and will be put on the blog as soon as possible. To read comments from others, click on "comment" and read the left side of the page. Thanks
If you have questions about the blog or if this does not work for you -- send your message to the postmaster at: tomhunterblog@gmail.com and it will be posted for you.


Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sunday, May 25th

36 comments:

Chris Lamm said...

Tom and Gwen,

The facilitator’s of the NonViolence in the Lives of Children Project in California have been meeting this weekend at Susan Hopkins home in Grass Valley. Hanne Sonquist knew we were meeting and sent us an e-mail about what you are going through. To say we were all stunned is an understatement. After many minutes of silence we began sharing our “Tom Stories”. Each of us had many. The one I remember that I recently shared at Fullerton College was the last time NAEYC was in Dallas. CEASE brought Howard Zinn and others to present a workshop at a time when you were to be on the other side of the convention center. You came running in with your guitar and still out of breathe asking if you were too late to share a song. Of course you were not too late☺. You had the right song at the right time – as you always do. As we moved to dinner this evening, we continued reflecting on how much you have taught each of us about our passion for our work, about life, about making a difference…. We thought it fitting to play your music at our dinner; however, all your CD’s were at Susan’s cabin and the only one she had in Grass Valley was “When the Silent Night Starts to Sing” (Songs of Christmas). We have a tradition at our retreats to have a moment of silence, holding hands at the beginning of the evening meal. Susan had already put the CD on. As we were having our moment of silence your voice came through singing the song “Angels”. The words that I remember from listening to you at the dinner table tonight reinforced to me how you always know what to say whether it is to comfort us, to challenge us or affirm us. These were words that comforted us: “Angels are messengers to pass the word along. In a story or a dream, in a dance or song.” and it ended with…. “And maybe there’s an angel sitting next to you.” After hearing you sing those words we all looked up in unison and smiled☺. You and your family are in our prayers and thoughts. Thank you for sharing your passion with us. In Friendship & Peace, Chris Lamm

Anonymous said...

tom /aiden
i dont type or use the computer so this will be short in print but NOT in thought or love. tom you are such an inspiration to so so many.i simply love to share space in this world w/you.im so grateful to you and the sense of peace and acceptance ive always felt in your presence.
aiden im susie from camp--pcpo. your fellow t.v. addicted one.
all my best, i will be thinking of you all.
much love susie long-clark
pcpo portland or

Anonymous said...

I went to the beach Saturday just before sunset to have another "good" cry. there I saw more than 50 pelicans, crusing in one line just over the water level. but one huge and georgeous bird broke away and circled over me, so low I thought I could reach up and touch him. he then circled over me one more time, very low and then s o a r d e d way up high over the clouds and out to sea. (he was probably looking at my 3 lb dog for a meal, but I would like to believe that it was Tom) SOAR Tom, SOAR. love, anne.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Gwen,
Please know that I am still praying many times during both day and night. I am sending my love and with you constantly in spirit. You have shared so much love with me and I feel so blessed by you. Thank you for all God's work that you continue to do. You have made life so much richer for all of us. I reflect on seeing you my first day at WCF and having you sing special songs just for me. You made me feel so special and when I became ill you were always there to lift my spirits and give me hope. I still remember so many things you have said to me that continue to give me strength, courage and faith for days ahead. I love you both dearly.
Much Love, Calene

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Hunter family. Tom, your wisdom and presence (not to mention your kindness, laughter and music)made such an impact as I learned to become a better parent and teacher. My son is 13 now and still has such fun memories when you vistited RCP & RCS in Roseville. Your respect and love of children was so valued and I am very glad I had the chance to know you. God bless you and your family. Love, Kathleen Garmsen

Anonymous said...

It was about 11 years ago that Tom gave a concert here in Orange County, CA. I had the great pleasure of hosting him and extending my guest room for the evening. I wanted the room to look nice so I spruced it up and bought a new ceiling fan...a Hunter Fan. Of course I said the new fan was in his honor. Tom got such a kick out of that. I would see Tom mainly at NAEYC conferences. He would always stop to say hello and ask how I was doing. I remember one year at the conference I was walking through the exhibit hall with a colleague when Tom came by. We stopped and chatted and I introduced Tom to my friend. Needless to say my friend was extremely impressed that I knew the great Tom Hunter. Even though I haven't seen Tom for awhile I think of him often. I mention him to my students as not only a great musician but a great humanitarian as well. And of course I hear his words and music in our lab school.
Tom you truly are a wonderful man who has made my life richer for your friendship.

Tom Chiaromonte
Fullerton College
Fullerton, California

Anonymous said...

Morning Tom-It's early here, our favorite time of day and I'm thinking about miracles. Too often we throw that word around lightly but the definition I like is "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs". Even though all our prayers might not end in the kind of miracle we hope for, I'm thinking you are getting a mailbox full of little miracles every day. You are getting to feel how very much you are loved by people all over this world and you are getting a glimpse of what a difference you have really made in so many lives...not many get to do that. Your life and your place in this world have been miracles of love and we are blessed to be a part of that world.In my corner of the world, the sun is coming up and the birds are singing and the lilacs are blooming...more miracles don't you think? I'm going to make snickerdoodle cookies now and put a dab of flour on my nose and I will be thinking of eggbeaters, and miracles and of you my friend...So much love, Billie

Lara said...

DANCE as though no one is watching you,
LOVE as though you have never been hurt before,
SING as though no one can hear you,
LIVE as though heaven is on earth.
Souza
Dearest Tom,
I love that quote. Tom, you taught me the importance of what that quote embodies. More importantly you taught me with your own actions and reactions to life. I know for a fact that I am not alone in those sentiments which illuminate how important you are for many people and how people do so deeply love you!

Your stories and songs have run through my head on a daily basis since I can’t remember when (especially those really catchy ones about Angels). In fact, it has been because of those words and images swirling around me that I deal with my own struggles and traumas as if no one is watching me dance or listening to me sing. Through the really ugly stuff I am living the lessons you teach of how to “live out loud” even if it looks really awkward. Saying a simple thank you seems trite in exchange for what you have taught me but it will have to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here we might as well DANCE! Anonymous

As I sing and dance my life out loud you will always be right there too! You are deeply loved by many and I am honored to be one of the many.
With gratitude and love that words skim the true meaning,
xoxo
Lara L. Wepprecht

Anonymous said...

Robin Jurs

I sang this song today and thought of Tom.

One more step, we will take one more step, til there is peace for us and everyone, we'll take one more step.

One more word, we will say one more word, til every word is heard by everyone, we'll say one more word.

One more prayer, we will say one more prayer, til every prayer is shared by everyone, we'll say one more prayer.

ONE MORE SONG, WE WILL SING ONE MORE SONG, TIL EVERY SONG IS SUNG BY EVERYONE, WE'LL SING ONE MORE SONG.

I will keep taking small steps, speaking true words, sharing prayer, and singing Tom's songs day after day...for Tom...and all of us seeking real peace and deep love, as Tom does so well.

Robin Jurs

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tom, Gwen, Aeden and Irene,
Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you Gwen or Irene, I feel like I know you through Tom and Aeden. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of all of you. I awoke this morning to a note written by my son, Issey. He wanted me to post it as it would get to you right away. He wrote......Dear Mr. Hunter and Aeden, I remember when my mom and I went to your camp. One of my favorite memories is when Aeden stuck his arms through yours and acted out your words! It was so funny! I also really liked Lullaby Night.....I fell asleep before it was over and my mom had to carry me back to our cabin. I also remember all the songs we sang together at the Big School. I'm glad to know you.
Love,
Issey Kosinski

I am so thankful that our paths crossed and my family and I had the wonderful opportunity to sing and learn with you. Issey and I talk about camp and cry together. He is able to share in my tears but also in our love for you and all you have given us. We will do our best to pass it on.........
always thinking of you.....
Love, Rebecca

Marla Bronstein said...

On this, my traditional "Hunter" weekend, of course you all are in my thoughts...

I was in your neck of the woods (or lake as it were) last night, and listened to those loud crazy frogs for a good long time. The calm that is-- it is you Mr. Hunter.

Sending you love, peace and calm as you are surrounded and embraced by your family and those who love you as i do.

Marla B.

Anonymous said...

I met Tom at Good Stuff For Kids. I could tell he was a genuine person with a spirited soul. His voice and music never left me. Our family listens to he and Bev and has had many great family moments to the songs...in our homes and in our car :) . One of the songs " rock me to sleep" I have sung to my son Mason for years after hearing Tom sing it and talk about it. Thank you for sharing your self with us.

Rose
Mason &
Brian Zitzow

Anonymous said...

Tom, you've made the world a better place! The outpouring of love in all these posts is indisputable proof.

God bless you,
Jane Peterson

postmaster said...

Somebody noticed what you did today---
and all the days of your life. Oh so many others have been enriched and empowered because you cared.
Dad

Kjersten said...

Dear Tom,

Oscar and I have been talking about you every night during our "bless yous." We've been hoping you are still singing. We are trying to remember to sing too.

I am so happy that I got to know you through doing joy jesters and the Christmas Eve services during the past years. I also want to tell you that the little concert you gave Oscar when he was born was precious to me. You "baptized" Oscar into song. And I'm telling you, this little guy loves music. He loves to hum and to dance. He really LOVES to dance. It means so much to me that you welcomed him into the world the way you did. I'd even say, you were, indeed, his first minister with that concert. Thank You.

We miss you. We mourn that you are sick. But we will keep thinking of you, praying for you and your family, and we will sing.

Love,
Kj, Oscar and Bryce

Anonymous said...

Tom-I am so sad that we will not plan another event at Kendall together (and, by the way you owe me a beer). I am very grateful for the things we did do. Perhaps the best is getting your cd's in the hands of every entering kindergartner.I put the cd on last Christmas, and the group of 7 children around the table knew all the words.It struck me that 4 of the 7 had parents in jail at that moment.I want you to know that I am committed to finding funding to continue this program next year.
Thank you for encouraging me to go to camp.I will always cherish those memories.
I talked to Galvin and he told me about you meeting Jerome in the airport and riding back to Bellingham with him.That made me laugh. I am hoping to get Mark to Glacier for some ping pong or pickle ball this summer...
Gwen, when I read your emails regarding lake preservation, the vision of a warrior woman comes into my head. Thank you for all you do to protect our corner of the world.This wisdom and strength will carry you through.
Aeden, I hope to see you and Morgan this summer.Irene, I have never met you, but think about you every time I hear the song "Good Night, Irene." So many songs, so many memories. THANK YOU! Love, Juli Evangelista

klygrrrrl said...

Dear Tom,

It has been amazing to sit here with tears in my eyes and read what an impact you have had on people's lives. For me personally, I KNOW you have had an impact -- I have seen it in my life and in my teaching, and in all the workshops I have done all over Iowa and the Midwest. I have experienced what it is like to be in your presence -- the vitality, to use a word you love.

And at the same time, I feel such a fellowship to these people, so many of whom I have never met in person, but with whom I have so much in common. Why? Because they too have experienced this vitality - whether in joy and song or in deep sorrow that you helped them sit with. The word "grace" has come to live in my head the last few days and I hope it stays for a long long time. It is one of my favorite words and captures so much of what I feel about you and this community of amazing people you have brought together.

I've been spending time with that picture of you and little baby Maddie -- as one who works with the littlest ones, it drew me in deeply. The look you two are exchanging tells me full well you both know the importance of the moment.

Thank you for your part in helping me see the both the importance of the big picture as well as the moment. We need both.

"Where you go, go well & a fair wind home."

In grace & gratitude,

Kelly Matthews

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,
I sat in my green adirondack chair this morning and ate my breakfast. I'll never forget the message from Gwen, her voice was just as excited about my winning the chair as I was. Then I thought about what a challenge that must have been to mail to me. It made me giggle to think of you showing up at the Mailing Center with that big chair & saying "This needs to go to California, how do we do that?". Now it has become my own personal symbol of you - a place to reflect, read, write in my journal, listen to music, pray, and to think about you.
Thanks Tom!
Love ya, Debbie

NWTC said...

Tom Hunter, I must have started this a hundred times, searching for the right words to say. So many love you and sing their praises for you.I join them in expressing my love and admiration and gratitude. Our lives are FAR richer having had you and your family as friends.
In my darkest times you have been there for me, offering words of wisdom and ultimately, simply joining me in the place that lies beyond understanding of this crazy world.Your faith has been a beacon for me when life seems painful beyond what I think I can endure.Your words have given me solace in my darkest moments as I held my guitar and sang your songs, comforting my heart and making the unendurable durable.
I will always carry our morning times over coffee close to my heart and be so grateful for them. Each morning I look up to the hills in the east, sip my coffee and think of you and smile and know how much better my life is because of your faith, compassion and questions. You are a rare man Tom Hunter and salty tears of love drip down my cheeks as I think how grateful I am to call you my friend. I love you dearly. Dale

NWTC said...

Tom Hunter, I must have started this a hundred times, searching for the right words to say. So many love you and sing their praises for you.I join them in expressing my love and admiration and gratitude. Our lives are FAR richer having had you and your family as friends.
In my darkest times you have been there for me, offering words of wisdom and ultimately, simply joining me in the place that lies beyond understanding of this crazy world.Your faith has been a beacon for me when life seems painful beyond what I think I can endure.Your words have given me solace in my darkest moments as I held my guitar and sang your songs, comforting my heart and making the unendurable durable.
I will always carry our morning times over coffee close to my heart and be so grateful for them. Each morning I look up to the hills in the east, sip my coffee and think of you and smile and know how much better my life is because of your faith, compassion and questions. You are a rare man Tom Hunter and salty tears of love drip down my cheeks as I think how grateful I am to call you my friend. I love you dearly. Dale

Anonymous said...

Tom,Gwen,Aeden and Irene,

We are deeply saddened to hear of your recent news and will continue to send you our good vibes and our prayers. We really enjoy looking at all of the pictures and quotes on your blog site and are planning to purchase some of your cd's and books to share with our future family and my future classroom. In this way you will continue to be a part of our lives forever.
I will never forget all of your smiling faces full of fun and laughter as you brought over (and shared) your lunches with Irene and I on Walnut street. Or when we sat on the lawn in the sunshine eating and talking about all kinds of things under the sun. Whenever I am around you I always feel comfortable and safe to be just who I am at that moment. I have never seen or felt a family like yours that is so supportive and accepting of each other in every way.I feel so blessed to have met Irene and been a roomate with her so that I got to meet your entire family.In fact, when I begin to consider having a family of my very own I will undoubtably think of you and try to convey the greatness of yours.
Your spirit, your kindness,your quiet strength, your love and your laughter will forever be in my heart. Thank you for being the kind of example that I will strive to be to my future children and students. God bless you all.
Love and kisses,
Tom & Bobbie Demuth

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,

I heard about your illness yesterday from Flip through her email list - thank God for her and her willingness to be out there!

I first met you at an early childhood education conference in Portland sometime around 1994 or '95. You were the keynote "speaker" and you sang your way through your "talk." I fell in love immediately with your spirit, ways of thinking and being. I was deeply involved in our local coop preschool in Linfield at the time.

Shortly after that we moved to Bellingham, and lo and behold, here you were! I've mostly known you at public events: Flip and Zeke's wedding, anti-war protests and the like, but I feel as though I have a personal relationship with you through your songs and presence, your way of being in the moment that shines through in the picture of you and baby Maddie.

Your inclusiveness is an inspiration to all of us who work for deeper community relationships. I only hope that our feelings for you can help to carry you and your family forward in all the ways you move and negotiate the coming journeys. We arew all in the circle together.

With all love and hope,

Lucy Morse

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Today I was remembering the dark secret you shared with me several years ago...that the words to My Darling Clementine fit really well to the tune "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer". It made me laugh to think of all the snickers we've shared when that hymn came 'round in the liturgy. Of course it has changed forever a perfectly good hymn. I will always look for you whenever I sing it. Conspiratorily, Janet

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,

How blessed I am to have had you in my life over the years. I was glad to get to know you at NAEYC conferences, singing along with you, Bev and Michael. Our time together in Roseville at "Good Stuff for Kids" was such a blessing --you shared your wisdom about NOT rushing from meeting to meeting, conference to conference, but saving time for the important things in your life -- family, friends, nature. I have cherished your beautiful newletters with your observations of seasons and the importance of singing with children and families.

I started by new career as a teaching artist in residence for Head Starts of Pittsburgh this year, working with classroom teachers, helping them integrate the arts into their classrooms. We opened each and every class session with your "COME ON AND SING!", which made each day joyous and spontaneous. The children loved adding their own verses. So know, dear Tom, that each time I sing this song, for the rest of my life, I will be thinking of you-- your generous heart, welcoming spirit, lovely smile and hearty laugh. You have been a treasure in my life, and I will miss you. In your memory, I pledge to keep singing the old, true songs, sharing them with all my families.

To your family I send my support and prayers of comfort. May you find peace at this most difficult time.

Love,
Margaret Hooton
Early Childhood Music Teacher
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom,

My heart is full of memories of you. Three are especially dear:
- Grandson Benjamin at age 3 standing beside his aisle seat in the Mt. Baker Theatre Christmas Eve so he could see you singing "In the Middle of Everything Else." Now at age 9 Benjamin still knows the song.
- The Septembr you opened All College Day at WCC because we needed help to heal. You knew what to say and what to sing, and we were the better for what you gave us.
- Your uncanny ability to come to St. Joe's last summer at all the right times for Ken, finally singing him home with the sailing song and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."

You have been such a gift to all of us. We will never forget. God carry you, Gwen, Aeden and Irene in his arms.

~Judy Hoover

Nancy V said...

Sweet Tom,
Seyon and I are very sadden about your health condition. I think about you constantly, and all the wonderful ways you have inspired me as a teacher and human being. Unfortunately sometimes we get wrapped up in the daily to-do and don't keep in touch with those who we are so find of. I just wanted you to know that you have always been thought/talked about by Seyon or I on a weekly basis. All your songs we have passed along to the other 30+ teachers at our school. There is a constant reminder of your presence at Bing. And we love that. Thank you for being such a great mentor to us both. Hopefully one day you might feel strong enough to travel again. I know a special little cafe Seyon and I (and our baby boy Korban) would like to take you to. It's a tradition we have always held dear with you.
I send you many warm thoughts during this trialing time. And much love to you and your wonderful Gwen, Aedan and Irene.
...And Tom, when I'm sad I cry.
Nancy Verdtzabella
n.verdtzabella@stanford.edu

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Gwen,
I send you my love and prayers from El Cerrito, CA, just up the coast from where we spent many amazing weekends at Asilomar in Pacific Grove in the 70's and 80's. I will always cherish hearing you both sing "How can I keep from singing?". Indeed, how can we all keep from singing in this world that has been made so much richer and better by your singing. I grieve for your news and want you to know that I send my love and blessings and prayers. With fond memories and lots of energy for healing and peace and joy coming your way,
Jody Parsons

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,

The words don't come easy but the prayers are flowing. As it's been for so many others, these past few days have been filled with reflection and thankfulness for all you've meant to so many people. My favorite memory is when you gave a concert at my UCC church in Long Beach several years ago for a rather small but thrilled audience of all ages. At our home later that evening, we shared stories of the UCC, families and music.
It's an honor to sing your praises with my church kids! Thank you for taking the time to make people feel valued and loved.
Peace be with you,
Tracy (DeWitt) Halter

Anonymous said...

Tom and family,

News of your illness has reached its way to Merced, California. Your visits here the past couple of years were greatly appreciated, not only for the wonderful music but for the time together (you may recall the walk along the creek followed by the frosted mug of rootbeer). Now, as Henri Nouwen reminds us, it's time to "trust the catcher."

Much love to you and your family,

Dave and Jeane Hetland

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom,
I met you at the CMN Gathering at Lake Ossipee NH several years back. You are and have been an inspiration to me. I haven't stopped singing the "Baby Chant" since then with all the toddler groups that I sing with. That song/chant is much loved around here! On behalf of myself and all the kids,teachers and parents I sing with, thank you for all your Songs and Music. Peace.

Love,
Scott Kepnes
Merrimack, NH

Anonymous said...

Your song, "Watching the world go By" is our closing song every day at school. After the children and I sing it, I tell them all the good things I saw happening during the morning and invite them to do the same. Your song helps us all tune in to the ways we're all growing in every way. Thank you for that song and all the music you've written that honors childrens' feelings and experience.

kathy said...

Der Tom and Gwen ~ rather than wait until inspiration strikes, simply know that you are loved, thought of and prayed for ~~
Kathy SCAEYA

Shannon Elmendorf said...

Earlier, someone wrote that they are inspired by your way of being in the world - that is exactly how I feel! You have that special ability to create a warm, silly, reverent, safe, inspiring space around you - and then you invite people into it and make them feel like they belong. I'm convinced you inspired a life-long love of music in Charlie - from the night of the WCF tree-trimming party when you played and sang at the Webber's new house and he was only 6 months old and absolutely transfixed by you. Such a special memory for me. We love you Tom, thank you for the quotes, the poems, the songs and the way you have projected God's love into this world. We look forward to meeting you again.
Love,
Shannon, Tyson and Charlie Elmendorf
p.s. We listen to your music all the time. Charlie's current favorite is Toy Made Out of Wood

Anonymous said...

dear tom,
i try again to post a note - my lack of computer skills is making me nuts! so much for lovely words...
but i have been thinking of you often these last few days. i remember one time at the storytelling conference in bellingham a few years ago... you gave a opening talk. afterwards you came up to me and said " do you think it was ok?" and of course it was more than ok. it was just what we all needed to hear. you have that knack - saying what we need to hear. what is important - what is real.

when my father was slipping away with alzhiemers i would sit with him and sing all the songs he taught me. when we were singing he was connected again for those moments. it was such a gift for me to be able to connect with him.

you have connected us all by your songs,your music, your words,your presence.such a gift you have given us, such grace. thank you.

tomorrow i will sing for you all while i make a big pot of spaghetti 'gravy'.
i think of you tom and gwenn and aiden and irene surrounded by light and sonhgs and love
much love,
'Joisey' aka Anne-Louise

postmaster said...

Dear Tom,
As with so many of your friends, this news shakes me to the bones. My bones knew from the day we first met so many years ago that you were one of those people who touch this world with a passion and an uncanny ability to build a sense of community amongst the many people you meet. I love you, my friend, for your peace, for your big, open ears, for the impish shining light in your open eyes, and for the willingness to share that light with the worlds young and old. As so many have said, we are all better human beings because of our time with you.
As with the story you once told me of the island and it's ferry boat captain lost in the fog, your community of friends is calling out to you to help you find your way to whatever home is next. If we're not there when you get there, just sing or tell a joke and, no doubt, voices will join in song and laughter from all over the universe.
We laughed till we cried and also cried till we laughed. Even today as my heart ached for you and your family and my tears of grief were this time cried alone, I remembered a joke you told me years ago and it made me smile in my grief. I gladly admit to choking out the punch line aloud through my tears: Tom Hunter, "you should have used Johnson Nails!"
Good travels, my friend, and thanks for the joy.
I love you,
Tom Pease

Anonymous said...

Tom there has been so many great times that I could remember from camp. You could always inspire me to write a new song, but this was back when I was little and my songs mainly consisted of one chord on the guitar and they always had to do with a flower or a dog. Now everytime I write something I think back to camp and all my old songs. Unfortunatly I'm not an old person so I can't come up with something long and complex so I'll make it simple. I miss you guys an awful lot. I love you guys and I will never forget you and all that you've done for me!